Oak Barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive found that these barrels have a medium, medium + toast and impart oak very quickly. I wouldn't go smaller than 20L as they are prone to over oaking and leaks...

Yeah... small barrels are strong. You need to be carefull not to over oak. But after a few batches they will tone down. I have been happy with the barrels I got from Vadai.

I just got 2 small barrels from them...

A 2.7 gallon, and a 5.3 gallon medium toast hungarian oak barrel.

20100219_001322_barrelsathome_0.JPG

well, those are beauties.......how have you used them thus far?

I would really like to try an oak barrel. Lookig forward to hearing how you have used yours.
smiley1.gif

I've been quite pleased with my Vadai Hungarian oak barrel. It has a wonderful 'toasty clove' aroma to it (medium toast). It's also 6 gallons, which is means less extra glassware needs compared to the 5-gallon French oak medium toast barrel that I was my first purchase. The French oak barrel was also around $200 base cost and the Vadai 6-gallon was somewhere south of $150 delivered. The staves of the Vadai barrel are thicker than the staves of the French oak barrel and it's obvious. You can call up and talk directly to Sandor, too. I recommend the product.

- Jim

Right now the small one is full of Port, the larger one is getting ready for Barolo.

Life is good

Back