WineXpert French Chard--Am I ready to stabilize and clear?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First, thank you to everyone who has helped me thus far!! I really appreciate your help!! Now on to my question. Started in Primary on 10/26 and Specific Gravity was 1.1 (I think if I read it properly). Racked to carboy on 11/2 per directions, but did not check SG. Today is 11/7. The directions say to check SG after 10 days, but I checked it today because no bubbles are coming up on the airlock/bung, as well as around the edges of my carboy, there are tiny bubbles on the edge,as well as some in the middle of the wine. Not sure what is going on. I just checked the SG, and on my hydrometer it shows -1 and also the level is between the 1000 and 90 mark (closer to 90). If my cheat sheet is correct, that should be .995-.990. Directions say it should be .996 or less to start clarifying and stabilizing, but the 10 days are not up. I plan to check SG tomarrow, but should I go ahead and stabilize, or wait the full 10 days like the kit says. That will be five days from now! (Sorry but I flunked Chemistry in College--English major with an MBA cannot figure this out!!) And I am a pharmaceutical rep to boot!!! Don't tell my boss!!!

Thank you for all your help!!!

Francie

No, check the hydrometer a few days in row to make sure that it is not
moving. If it is truly stable the you could clarify and stabilize then.

Perfect, that is what I was thinking after I posted this, but I get a little excited since it is my first batch!!
smiley2.gif

Francie, relax, thereare a lot of variances, temp and yeast strain being two of the bigger ones. I started a batch of wine on the 27th, and just put it into the secondary today. WadeWade is right, take a few days or a week or even two to get your next step ready. You are under no rush now it is under lock.
LT

Francie, don't worry about the day to do this or that. The only real important step to follow to the "T" is racking from the primary to glass when the SG is around 1.010 or less. This is to protect the wine from oxygen exposure. Most instructions state between 5-7 days for this to occur. Remember, this is only an average.If at day 7 your SG has not reached this level you check it every day until it reaches this level.

Once you rack to glass you don't really have to live by the time frames the instructions state to the "T". Remember, different temps will affect the fermentation process. The cooler it is, the longer it will take. Let the secondary fermentation go at least the entire 10 days and recheck. It could take longer but if you see some activity in the airlock you should have a layer of CO2 blanketing the wine.You should be in the target range and even if you are now, the few extra days will not harm the wine.

Degass and stabilize the wine if you are in the target range and rack to another carboy. Remember to stir those lees up into the wine at this point to assist in clearing the wine. Remember as well that ambient temperatures will affect the speed of the clearing process and the degassing process as well.

The only semi-important step is to rack off the gross lees after that. They can spoil after a while and leave an after taste to the wine.You don't want to leave them too long but I have went at least a month before racking off the lees with no ill effects. Once you are off the gross lees you can essentially let the wine age for extended periods of time but be sure you have topped up to an inch or two below the stopper.

I know we preach follow the directions all the time but remember that the instructions say "Do this only if "this" or "that" are present such as a specific SG. I used to be a fanatic on directions until listening to Tim V at the last Winestock. He stressed the Step 1 to Step 2 process was the only truly vital step to follow in making kit wines.

I will add to this though, the 2 best kits I have made to date I had in the primary's when Hurricane Katrina hit and was followed by Hurricane Rita after. Both of these kits sat in the primary at the end of August in South Louisiana with no AC for around 2-3 weeks. I really figured these wines were a lost cause but I bottled them anyway. They both turned out fantastic. These kits are fairly bullet proof but you can't get to "laxed" particularly cleaning and sanitizing or you will have a problem.

Good luck and keep the questions coming

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Francie. If you haven't racked for the second time yet, I would suggest doing a search on Georges site (here) for "butter" "chardonay". I think you will find an interesting suggestion.

Just FYI; sounds like you are doing fine.

Francie said:
Perfect, that is what I was thinking after I posted this, but I get a little excited since it is my first batch!!
smiley2.gif

Surely you jest Francie !!! Excited about making wine !!!
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

You be hooked now gal.....great job thus far....keep up the good work
smiley32.gif

Back