Tanks a lot :)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have not seen a whole lot on tips an suggestions concerning the use and maintenance of Stainless Steel Variable Capacity tanks in wine making. I started this thread to share any pearls of wisdom that tank users may have..

1) I use S hooks to hang my lids over the sides of the tanks. I have made the mistake of starting to fill the tank with the lid sitting on the bottom

2) On most tank lid kits, they include the fermentation trap with a marble (instead of a fluid filled trap. I never use them since I do an open fermentation.

3) I converted a PVC pipe (potable water grade) into a "racking wand". I find that getting to the bottom of the tank (while racking) is hard to do with a piece of tubing that wants to coil up.

4) I use a hank truck that has a curved back to move my tanks. The best part is that I can just set the hand truck on its side and the tank is snugly cradled at a tilt. Perfect for cleaning tanks!

John if I was going to make large batches, you sure have me sold that the tanks are the only way to go. I really don't plan on making anymore then six gallon batches and my basement dosen't have the drains fo washing out a tank either.

I have not seen a whole lot on tips an suggestions concerning the use and maintenance of Stainless Steel Variable Capacity tanks in wine making. I started this thread to share any pearls of wisdom that tank users may have..

1) I use S hooks to hang my lids over the sides of the tanks. I have made the mistake of starting to fill the tank with the lid sitting on the bottom

2) On most tank lid kits, they include the fermentation trap with a marble (instead of a fluid filled trap. I never use them since I do an open fermentation.

3) I converted a PVC pipe (potable water grade) into a "racking wand". I find that getting to the bottom of the tank (while racking) is hard to do with a piece of tubing that wants to coil up.

4) I use a hank truck that has a curved back to move my tanks. The best part is that I can just set the hand truck on its side and the tank is snugly cradled at a tilt. Perfect for cleaning tanks!
Hey John would you happen to have pictures of your setup, I'm looking to make a racking setup for my SS VC tanks 2-150LT and 1- 250LT

John, I was interested in seeing your racking cane you made, I'm planning on making something this year I used the plastic tubing and its not a great solution, tubing popped out and lost a bit of wine. I need to make a better solution when racking with the pump from tank to tank

I use brass quick connects to hook everything up.
Then I have two ends one is for siphoning into a tank and the other which is much longer than what's pictured is for drawing wine out of a tank.

They both slip over the side of each tank.

IMG_20170927_181000149.jpg

John, What are you using at the tip of your tube when you are racking.. Also what pump are you using, I'm currently using my Super Jet as a wine transfer pump when I'm racking the 250 Liter SS VC tank but its slow going. about 1 gallon per minute. I was looking into this pump its 7 gal per minute. Have you used or know anything about these pumps https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCKU3ZC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back