Hi from Nova Scotia

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vineyard

Junior
Reaction score
Just bought a 73 acre property near the ocean with 2045 grape vines
Frontenac Red. Frontenac Gris Marquette and Geisenheim. planning on another 15 acres
Just finished harvest 9 tons
and sold them
Not a clue on wine making. But hope to have a winery in a few years.

Welcome to the forum!

Best of luck with your new venture!

Thanks. Busy reading anything I can find on wine making. Some wineries give courses here.

Just bought a 73 acre property near the ocean with 2045 grape vines
Frontenac Red. Frontenac Gris Marquette and Geisenheim. planning on another 15 acres
Just finished harvest 9 tons
and sold them
Not a clue on wine making. But hope to have a winery in a few years.

Welcome, im in bc, westcoast canada, frontenac varietals grow great here but are high acid and low ph, iv talked with alot of our local winmakers and they all have a few tricks up there sleeves to deal with these varietals, i have a batch of frontenac noir on the go right now.

Welcome to our little corner of the net. Hope you saved a few of the grapes so you can try a small batch of your own. Arne.

Welcome to our little corner of the net. Hope you saved a few of the grapes so you can try a small batch of your own. Arne.

Hi Arne thanks
No I didn't keep any Frontenac
I just bought the property this year and was pretty hectic with moving and working in vineyard to get it under control I don't have any equipment anyway. I'll remedy that next year and start experimenting. The marquettes had a Brix of 23 which isn't bad for Nova Scotia
Cheers

Actually there are Frontenac grapes not harvested
The vines s were near the house and buyer didn’t want them as the vines were in poor shape.
I checked the brix
It’s at 25. My friend is going to show me the basics on wine maki g with these grapes

Actually there are Frontenac grapes not harvested
The vines s were near the house and buyer didn’t want them as the vines were in poor shape.
I checked the brix
It’s at 25. My friend is going to show me the basics on wine maki g with these grapes

Want to get them going? Pick the grapes, use a potatoe masher to smash them in some kind of a containner (at one time I used a dish pan) pick the stems out after mashing. Find a food grade bucket of the right size to hold them all. Since you don't have any chemicals put the whole works in the bucket. Let it sit and it should start fermenting in a couple of days. While waiting, find some containers of a size to hold all the liquid you are going to get out of the grapes. Once it starts fermenting, stir the must every day and punch whatever is floating down to keepit moist. After 10 days or so pour it into the containers you have found. Should have some kind of airloc ks on them, either storebought or make your own with an airtight lid with a hole in it, run some tubing out of the hole, seal it with the tubing above the level of the wine and run it down to a dish of water. That will let the co2 out and keep anything else from going in. While you are waiting you can order or buy some k-meta (campden tablets) and maybe some calciumcarbonate to bring the ph up. When things quit fermenting, take the wine off the lees that accumulate on the bottom of the containers. Put it in clean containers, give it a shot of k-meta (campden tabs) and let it set. Make sure to give it a taste test along the way. After 3 months if you have a heavy set of lees, rack it off them again and more k-meta. You can check and change the ph. If do do a bit of research on here you can find about where you want it. When it gets where it tastes good, enjoy. You get going with more grapes, read on here and there is more you can do to make the wines great, but this will let you get started and have a little wine from your grapes without much equipment or chemicals. I am sure others will jump in and add to this but it should get you something halfway decent to drink. Arne.

Thanks
Looking forward to the future
I’m leaning towards a commercial winery
But I need to do a lot of learning and experiments no with small batches to get a good wine
I already have a name for the winery
Oceanview Vineyards
And yes it’s close to the ocean
I can see it from my living room

Back