Slightly Off Topic Topic - Mis-labeled Store Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Ok technically this is not in keeping with the topic of Country Fruit Winemaking but...

We opened a bottle of store bought wine given to us some time back and Surprise - what is this?

The label said Sutter Home White Zinfandel (One of my few grape wines I like)
The wine was a seriously dark for a White Zin but I thought it smells OK.

Poured a glass for the wife and myself and went back to surfing the web. Sipped a couple of times and then thought WHAT IS THIS.
Went to talk with wife (Surfing on her PC) She said maybe it need to be chilled?

Next evening same thing. This time we are watching recorded TV show.

We both agreed - this is NOT white zin. Then it hit me - Smell and taste matched with a plum wine even sweet enough for some we've had.

So I ask you all - What could this be? A serious Lableing issue or a wine gone rogue/oxidized. (Yeah Sutter Home is not what I call a high-class an swell wine.)

Our wine has always been stored in the pantry - temps in the 70s but the store that sold it? I have no idea - you may have hit it. Seal on the bottle appeared good but then I wasn't looking for a problem when I opened it. Since it was a gift (along with a couple of other bottles, I didn't pay a lot of attention.

Well in any case it was drinkable as long as I was thinking of plum wine as I drank it. Glad it wasn't a case of wine.

Latest posts

Back