Post Harvest Fertilization

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

we5inelgr

Reaction score
Hi all,

Due to leafhopper damage (i.e. more leaf fall than typical for this time of year), I'm considering fertilization post harvest for my 3rd leaf backyard vines near Lodi CA ava.

From what I've read, some advocate fall fertilization (post harvest) regardless, so I'm considering that as well as trying to give the roots & cordon's a helping hand in prepping for going dormant.

Some related resources on the topic of fall fertilization:

Grapevine Post-Harvest Nutrition Crucial to Next Year’s Crop
Post-Harvest Nutrition in Vines
Nutrient Requirements For Grapevines
Foothill Vineyard Post Harvest Activities: Fertilizing

Since I want to stay away from big Nitrogen based fertilizers (due to not wanting an explosion of vegetal growth) my question is, does anyone know of a good very low (or no) Nitrogen N-P-K fertilizer than can be purchased online? Preferably, a little bit of micro-nutrients like Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc will be in there as well.

About the only product I've found is this one: Blue Planet Nutrients Liquid Blue Bloom Booster 2-4-10.

There's this one Liquinox 0-10-10 Bloom, but I'm thinking the Phosphorus to Potassium ratio should be lower.

From what I've read, Nitrogen should be very low to not there, then Phosphorus should be low and Potassium should be the highest in the ratio.
This seems like a difficult combination to find.

Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to be scientific about it, because I am a scientist, you could do a post harvest soil test with your cooperative extension, tell them you are growing grapes and see what they recommend. While it is correct that adding nitrogen at the end of the season is generally a bad idea, it might help to see what your soil is deficient in as a starter.

Latest posts

Back