Harford Vineyard - Estimated Grape Arrivals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Just got an email from them. Note that the dates are harvest dates, so tack on about a week.

Estimated Harvest Dates

•Grape & Juices will arrive roughly a week later.

•Lodi California - Week of the 11th
◦Zinfandel, Chardonnay, Merlot, Thomson Seedless, Barbera, Pinot Noir, Albarino, Grenache.

•Lodi California - Week of the 18th
◦All other varietals from this region.

•Suisun Valley - Week of the 11th
◦Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir.

•Suisun Valley - Week of the 18th
◦Merlot, Chardonnay, Sangiovese, Zinfandel, Muscat Canelli, Barbera, Primitivo.

•Suisun Valley & Amador - September 25th
◦Malbec, Cab. Sav Lanza and 169 clone, Syrah, Petit Sarah, Riesling.

•October 2nd - All other Suisun Valley & Amador

•October 2nd - Paso Robles, Costamagna Italian Varietals, and Eldorado Pinot Noir.

•Washington State & Sonoma - End of October

Great reference point, would probably be the same for Toronto/Ontario as well. ...waiting for an update from my contact here as well.

Wow - I could be doing three trips. Glad they're not that far away.

Looks like 3 for me as well. Also wondering what their new crush/destem pricing might do as a result. Really need to find a C/D.

I'd have to do 10-15 seasons of grapes to make that worthwhile.

Last year, they started charging differently and it can add up. $25 for up to 10 lugs, and $5 for each different varietal. It appears (though I haven't talked to them to confirm) that you might be charged each time you go, if your grapes don't all come in at once. So three trips might mean $75.

Last year, they started charging differently and it can add up. $25 for up to 10 lugs, and $5 for each different varietal. It appears (though I haven't talked to them to confirm) that you might be charged each time you go, if your grapes don't all come in at once. So three trips might mean $75.

Got a response from my email to them and that's the case - $25/day. Hopefully, the grapes show up on the same day. Just have to make sure I bring some extra $$$ to the table, I guess.

Last edited:
Just got an email from them. Note that the dates are harvest dates, so tack on about a week.

Estimated Harvest Dates

•Grape & Juices will arrive roughly a week later.

•Lodi California - Week of the 11th
◦Zinfandel, Chardonnay, Merlot, Thomson Seedless, Barbera, Pinot Noir, Albarino, Grenache.

•Lodi California - Week of the 18th
◦All other varietals from this region.

•Suisun Valley - Week of the 11th
◦Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir.

•Suisun Valley - Week of the 18th
◦Merlot, Chardonnay, Sangiovese, Zinfandel, Muscat Canelli, Barbera, Primitivo.

•Suisun Valley & Amador - September 25th
◦Malbec, Cab. Sav Lanza and 169 clone, Syrah, Petit Sarah, Riesling.

•October 2nd - All other Suisun Valley & Amador

•October 2nd - Paso Robles, Costamagna Italian Varietals, and Eldorado Pinot Noir.

•Washington State & Sonoma - End of October
That email confused me. When do the juices come in? A week after the week of the 11th? I'm assuming the buckets all come from the Lodi region?

Got a response from my email to them and that's the case - $25/day. Hopefully, the grapes show up on the same day. Just have to make sure I bring some extra $$$ to the table, I guess.

I gots ta get me a c/d.

That email confused me. When do the juices come in? A week after the week of the 11th? I'm assuming the buckets all come from the Lodi region?

I think they mean a week later than the harvest date listed below. I'm guessing that the first bullet point and the language in the prior paragraph came from the office of redundancy office.

I think you're right, too - juice buckets come from Lodi.

I'm not quite understanding this dilemma. You guys all pre-order your harford grapes right? And you pay half upfront and half at pick up. And there's a good chance your varietals will be trickling in at different times?
When they get their grapes obviously they keep them refrigerated until you pick up. Why do you have to run over the exact day day one is available? Can't you just wait it out and pick them all up at once so you are only getting charged once for crush?

I'm not quite understanding this dilemma. You guys all pre-order your harford grapes right? And you pay half upfront and half at pick up. And there's a good chance your varietals will be trickling in at different times?
When they get their grapes obviously they keep them refrigerated until you pick up. Why do you have to run over the exact day day one is available? Can't you just wait it out and pick them all up at once so you are only getting charged once for crush?

A week (or more) in between deliveries. I'm not letting my grapes sit that long.

Me neither. Best way to avoid problems... start your ferment as soon as possible.

Additionally, Harford wants you to pick up within a week of delivery to them. I've had them get concerned if I space things out further. I don't think it is a capacity issue because their cooler is massive.

I ordered Lodi grapes and juice, and Washington grapes.

It is possible that my order will be split into:
-Zinfandel grapes + juice (9/18)
-Chenin Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc juice, Petit Syrah grapes + juice (9/25)
-Washington grape (11/7)

Should be fun!

Estimated Harvest Dates (Email #2)
Grape & Juices will arrive roughly a week later.
Lodi California - Week of the 11th
Zinfandel, Chardonnay, Merlot, Thomson Seedless, Barbera, Pinot Noir, Albarino, Grenache.
Lodi California - Week of the 18th
All other varietals from this region.
Suisun Valley - Week of the 11th
Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir.
Suisun Valley - Week of the 18th
Merlot, Chardonnay, Sangiovese, Zinfandel, Muscat Canelli, Barbera, Primitivo.
Suisun Valley & Amador - September 25th
Malbec, Cab. Sav Lanza and 169 clone, Syrah, Petit Sarah, Riesling.
October 2nd - All other Suisun Valley & Amador*
October 2nd - Paso Robles, Costamagna Italian Varietals, and Eldorado Pinot Noir.
Washington State & Sonoma - End of October

Additionally, Harford wants you to pick up within a week of delivery to them. I've had them get concerned if I space things out further. I don't think it is a capacity issue because their cooler is massive.

I just assumed the grapes were safe for a decent length of time sitting pretty at 33°. Which is the temp one of my local distributors keeps them. With many berries even partially frozen.

Latest posts

Back