making a fpac

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adding flavors and different taste to your wine can be fun and rewarding learnning how to think outside the box is a great way to expand an already great collection of wine styles or the enhance your next concept.

1 rinse berries - Copy (2).jpg

2 add to the pan - Copy (2).jpg

3 add juice - Copy (2).jpg

4 change colors - Copy (2).jpg

5 add a lid for a few mins - Copy (2).jpg

6 change colors and smoosh - Copy (2).jpg

7 more cooked down - Copy.jpg

8 finished f pak - Copy (2).jpg

9  Add to bag - Copy (2).jpg

Concord fpac

every one likes concord grapes and they make a very interesting companion Cabernet and a background flavor (really)...

IMG_20141103_140843710_HDR.jpg

every one likes concord grapes and they make a very interesting companion Cabernet and a background flavor (really)...

Beyond words right now... This will have to sum things up..

images

images

2Q==

images

images

images

Z

Joe,
So you leave the broken down fruit in with the fpac? Tom had made a tutorial on making an fpac that said you should strain the broken down juice into a container, not keeping the fruit.

Concord fpac

what I do is leave every thing in tact with in reason, this way you can get the benefit of the juice and pulp as well as some stems for tannins in the mix, just some stems not a lot. BESIDES YOU USE SO LITTLE IT'S NOT WORTH THE EFFORT..(1LB.) PER 6 GALLONS OR 5.

welshes: who didn't like Welches concord grape jelly? when you were a kit or even now with peanut butter and i have had many a glass of kosher wine which is predominately concord, but not my style for making my wine , not for me. johnt is correct sorry my fellow wine makers..:dg
believing is trying, this fpac in you Shiraz or cab, adds a density and complexity to the background . These two wines I have used concord fpacs for that reason the concord is hidden by the cab/or Shiraz you can tell its there BUT NOT LOUDLY,QUIETLY Think outside the box :D

IMG_20141103_140843710_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
John: Think inside the Fox!

Hey,

You KNOW I am not gonna let this slide without at least some comments!
H E L L L L OOOO! Remember me.. Wine snob?

One of the pictures seems to not have copied OK. It is a picture of Darth Vader pointing forward and saying "You are part of a rebel alliance and a traitor!". Thought that was the finniest one...

Glad that Joe has a sense of humor!!!

:)

pomegranate fpac

I had a request for a pomegranate fpac here it is.de-stone from the shell sauté down with a little sweet red wine and place right in to the primary if you want or secondary depending on your process..

IMG_20141029_190730038.jpg

IMG_20141029_190742818_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141029_184342244_HDR.jpg

weather you use a fpac in the primary or the secondary your always creating layers of flavor and not a lot of grapes are needed to be used to do this process usually 1 heavy lb.. per six gallons of base is more then enough . THOMPSON seedless grapes for the standard white fpac, these are always available and will do the job just nicely.

1.jpg

2A.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Zesting for flavor and fun

HAVE YOU EVER HAD A WINE THAT JUST WASN'T RIGHT? AND YOU WERE SURE WHAT COULD BE THE TROUBLE WITH IT!:s
ZESTING CAN SOMETIMES MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN HAVING A OKAY WINE AND SOMETNIG JUST THIS SIDE OF "HAY,NO BAD!

USING ZEST AND EXTRACTS IN WINE HAS BEEN AROUND PROBLY SINCE WINE BEGAN TAKE A LOOK AT JUST SOME OF THE EHANCEMENTS TAH YOU CAN ADD TO YOUR WINE TO GIVE IT THAT ZING OR TASTE THAT'S STATES "I MADE THIS" ,FOLLOW THE THOUGHT PATTEREN AND
THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

7A.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Joe -

It would be interesting to see how many people actually do this method and what type of extracts or F- Pacs that they make -

I am a newbie at this so I will start -
Oak
vanilla beans
lemon zest to make limoncello

I would really like some others input -

extracts and fpac

not in the least usually their is either good response or no??response, might not be a bad topic to start on a regular thread, we can weave it back and forth.

Joe,

have you tried any of those custom f-packs for a Moscato juice bucket to back sweeten a bit, which?

I'll be making a Moscato juice bucket this week and plan to back sweeten a bit to around 1.000 or 1.002, thinking about using peaches or even leaving some of the fresh juice out before pitching yeast and then using that juice to back sweeten. I want to add flavor so simple syrup is not an option in this case for me.

Peach fpac

PEACH FPAC SOUNDS EXCELLENT,DO YOU REMEMBER HOW I COOKED THEM DOWN ?I WOULD USE 4 VERY RIPE PEACHES DE-SKIN THEM(DO YOU KNOW HOW)? COOK THEM AND ADD THEM DIRECTLY TO THE SECONDARY.WHEN YOUR COOKING THEM ADD A CUP OF THE MOSCATO WINE JUICE AS A COOKING LIQUID.USUALLY THE MASCATO IS SEMI/DRY TO SWEET AS IT IS, WHICH IS THAT GOING TO BE YOUR FINISH PRODUCT?:u PUTTING THEM IN THE SECONDARY THEY WILL THEN BECOME A FLAVOR COMPONENT OF THE WINE,EXCELLENT FLAVOR MOVE.:db

Last edited:
I think your "secondary" is around 1.010 before it gets dry. I usually don't transfer at that SG but rather let it go all the way dry in its primary fermenter.
So I want to make an f-pack to back sweeten after it is dry.
I will cook them as you said and will add when adding kmeta and sorbate, just like a wine kit.

Latest posts

Back