Rocky's Pasta Sauce

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use this sauce for all our tomato sauce needs so we make it in large batches and freeze it. Easy to do and delicious!

2 red Bell peppers, diced, about 2 cups
2 Jalapeno peppers, diced
1 large cooking onion, diced, about 3/4 cup
2 large carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
garlic, about 1 tablespoon mashed and finely chopped
Olive oil
1 6 lb. 6 oz. can of crushed tomatoes (I use Angela Mia)
2 6 lb. 9 oz. cans of tomato sauce (I use Hunt's)
1 T dried Italian seasoning
1 T dried basil
1 t red pepper flakes
1/2 t crushed black pepper
Salt to taste (I don't add any. The tomatoes have plenty)
3 C good red wine

Put a large stock pot on medium heat and cover the bottom of the pot with olive oil. Bring oil up to medium heat (it should be thin) and add the carrots. Cook carrots 2 minutes and then add the Bell and Jalapeno peppers. Cook an additional 3 minutes and add the onion and garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add all seasonings (Italian, basil, red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt, if desired) at this point (you can adjust later, if desired). Stir the vegetable and seasonings well and cook for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes, stir, add the tomato sauce, stir. Add the wine, if desired. Bring to a boil over low-medium heat. Once at a boil, reduce heat to simmer and simmer for (only) 1/2 hour. Stir about every 5 minutes.

I know that it is blasphemy to only cook for 1/2 hour but you will find that is enough. I don't do as my Mom and Aunts did, cook out the water, add the water back, cook out the water, add the water back... It makes the sauce bitter to me.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
That sounds real close to Grandma DiIulio's sauce. But no jalapenos. And homemade tomato sauce from the garden.

That looks pretty dang tasty. I am all for anything that can be cooked in large batches and canned or frozen. Jalepeno's? That's odd for a yankee. :)

I had the jalapenos in the refrigerator. When I cut them, I removed the seeds and veins so there is little heat from them. Most of the heat comes from the red pepper flakes. Here is the sauce cooling on the range. I will put it into freezer containers when it is cool enough.

100_0581.jpg

MOMMA MIA! Need a nice, warm loaf of Italian bread for dipping and a bottle of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo wine and we'd be set for the day.

That sure looks good Rocky!

That looks pretty dang tasty. I am all for anything that can be cooked in large batches and canned or frozen. Jalepeno's? That's odd for a yankee. :)

Hey Lori, not all us Yankees are wimps! I love Jalapenos, Habaneros, Scotch Bonnets, Ghosts or maybe all hot peppers!

Sounds like a d@mn fine sauce Rocky, thanks for sharing. Gee whiz between the liquid level in your stock pot and the recent chard experience, I'd say you like to cut things close!

Me thinks Lori barking in wrong tree. I love jalapeno's and yes it was us damn Yankees that make all the jalapeno wine on here. Rocky, thanks for sharing. I am going to make this for sure minus the carrots. Do they eat Italian food in Texas? LOL

I swear this is truth.
I have a buddy that is the biggest pot head i have ever met, he also is a Jalepeno
nut...so after years of smoking weed and grilling peppers he came to this conclusion.
The more rounded the tip the less its hot...know what ...it is true.
you get those with really pointed ends, they will burn you.
you get the ones thats rounded, there not even hot...
go figure....dont belive me...try it.

Great post Rocky..............I think I'll leave out the carrots too.

I think dipping the bread and wine idea is a great one. A meal in itself.

RCGoodin, for me it would be a little too sweet for pizza sauce but I suppose it could be done. I have used it as a base for Shrimp Creole (added a bay leaf and some tabasco sauce), Bolognese sauce (added cooked, shredded beef) and added it to Hot Sausage and Peppers and to make Chicken Cacciatore. Works great with Cod fillets too. I just simmer the cod in some of the sauce in a frying pan for about 10 minutes. It is a very versatile sauce.

Back