fermentors

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tabathafalls

Junior
Reaction score
OK...so I have been making kit wines for a few years now and I have just recently taken the plunge into fresh fruit, scary as it is. I have a standard 7 gal fermentor that came with my starter kit, but after making my pear wine and having to split it into two seperate fermentions I have realized that I need a bigger fermentor. My question is... can I simply go to Walmart and buy a small plastic trashcan and just drill a hole in the lid???? A little lost here.

Get a Brute trash can. The white and gray colors are food safe. Available in 10, 20, 32 gallons, probably more. Not air tight thought, you can just snap on the cover to keep dust/insects out w/o drilling for an airlock.

Get a Brute trash can. The white and gray colors are food safe. Available in 10, 20, 32 gallons, probably more. Not air tight thought, you can just snap on the cover to keep dust/insects out w/o drilling for an airlock.

I got a 32 gallon garbage can from Menards. Works just fine for me. It doesn't impart any off flavors to the must that I could tell. It's nice to have when you're doing fruit wines so you can add the right amount of water to the must. I sanitize it and the lid and just keep a towel over the lid to keep the dust/bugs out. It isn't air tight so you don't need an air lock.

Back