Vineland NJ Wine Competition Aug. 10th 2013

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not bad, 4 for 4 for me.
1 First Place
2 Second Place
1 Third Place
I'm looking forward to the peoples choice portion, that should be interesting.
Thanks Joe

Congratulations David Becker..........................one of our forum's finest.

Great job...

I've made several Lounge kits, I really like the Long Island Iced Tea! But the best one I did was make the Cosmo and the Pina Colada kits and mix them together for a Cosmo Colada. The cranberry takes some of the sweetness out of the colada and it is just amazing. It looks just like pink grapefruit juice!
Also from Vineco they had a couple of 'cocktail' kits as well and these they give you a kit to make 6 gallons and then they give you 2 f-packs of flavoring to make 2 different 3 gallon cocktails. Again I mixed them together to make a Creamsickle Colada and a Strawberry Lemonade (which got me a second place in this competition!).

Thanks RC, very kind words indeed!!
Let's not forget about Joe, he got 4 for 4 as well!!

Thanks RC, very kind words indeed!!
Let's not forget about Joe, he got 4 for 4 as well!!

Joe, my apologies. I didn't notice you won 4 medals. I didn't recognize your last name. You are my wine making mentor. All the medals you won re-enforce why I think that way.

Thanks John. Hope all is well with you. Did you enter this one? My wife and I also each received a best in show award (my fruit wine, her dessert wine) at the Sussex County Fair this year, I didn't see you there either. They are doing that one much better now with AMS judges and not cooking the wines in the sun!!
Dave

johnt

YOU should have entered, this one with a bold red, that would have been a triple play and this is a tough category to break the link the good old boy feeling, however this season the judging was a lot more open minded to taste and types ,that was a plus for all who entered,.....:tz

simple syrup and extracts

In the case of the amarone wine kit, we need to make a simple syurp from dextrose .......................... This is the process I use it should always be in your toolbox a couple of quarts should always hang around they last forever or almost.

20130516_190450.jpg

20130516_190837.jpg

20130516_191103.jpg

20130516_191120.jpg

20130516_191123.jpg

20130516_191132.jpg

20130516_191142.jpg

20130516_191212.jpg

20130516_193314.jpg

party wine kits

PARTY WINE KITS IN REVIEW..:seThese are fun kids to make and become an extraordinary amount of flavors try one you like them at least my wife does, And so do all her friends

1 the kit.jpg

2 all the ingredients.jpg

3 ingredients.jpg

4 empty large bag.jpg

5 top up to 3 gals.jpg

6 take SG.jpg

7 stir in bentonite.jpg

8 yeast.jpg

Finished Product Cosmo.jpg

Mix the Cosmo and colada together, its really good that way!!
I also used that cat label and won a gold for it at winemakers label competition.

Other peoples wine

Would you like to post yours with us? A SMALL SAMPLE IS REQUIRED SO THAT WE CAN GIVE YOU A TRUE Evaluation before posting...

labeled (3).jpg

Finished Product Almond Wine.jpg

Finished Product Blackberry Lime Daiquiri.jpg

Finished Product Pina Colada.jpg

Finished Product Cosmo.jpg

Danger Dave's Dragon blood.jpg

Eblasmn9's Port.jpg

Runningwolf's Ports.jpg

joe.jpg

Last edited:
Joe, my wife just bottled her Black Forest Port, it is really good. That's the new one that came out this year.
Sorry I could't make the peoples choice event, how was it? I was looking forward to meeting you. How did we do?
Dave

People's choice awards

You should be getting an e-mail I got mine today I'm not mistaken you took a third-place for your Muscat blend, a first-place for your strawberry lemonade, my friend Jim was a member of our wine club also do real well he took first place for scanty the first place for his apple wine as second place for his spiced pumpkin, I received first place for my zinfandel pomegranate and a third-place for my almond wine and a third-place or my PIESPORTER, Fabio and New Mexico one of third-place for his white Merlot.

I didn't have anything in the distribution of the wine far as replacing the category the people who do a lot of training with live where but you get the e-mail congratulations, stay in touch.

Yours always JP:gn

when and why?

icon1.gif
Remembering the differences
Capitalization, is the process of adding sugar unfermented grape must in order to increase the alcohol content after fermentation. The technique was developed by the French chemist John Antoine Claude CHAPTAL, for whom it was named contrary to popular belief, this process does not make the wines sweeter but only artificially inflates the alcohol content. Additionally, the sugar in capitalized wine cannot be tasted.
Innocent.gif

Potassium metabolic sulfate, wine, or must additive, where informed sulfur dioxide gas. This both prevents most wild microorganisms from growing, and it acts as protective antioxidants, protecting both the color, and a delicate flavor typical dosage is 1/4 teaspoon potassium metabolic sulfate from 6 gallon bucket of must. Winemaking equipment to sanitize by sprang with a 1% solution or two tables teaspoons potassium metabolic sulfate per liter solution.
Innocent.gif

Potassium sorbate, is used to inhibit molds, and yeast in wine. Also known affectionately as wine stabilizer potassium sorbate produces sorbate acid when added to the wine. It serves two purposes. When active fermentation has ceased and the wine is rack for the final time after clearing, potassium sorbate will render any surviving yeast incapable of multiplying. yeast living at that moment can continue fermenting any residual sugar into CO2 and alcohol, but when they die no new yeast will be present to cause future fermentation. when a wine is sweetened before bottling, potassium sorbate is used to prevent from re-fermentation when used in conjunction with potassium metabolic sulfate. It is primarily used with sweet wines, sparkling wines, and some hard ciders but may be added to table wines which exhibit difficulty in maintaining clearly after fining.
Innocent.gif

Do you remember these? Do You know how to use these? What you should do is copy this now this whole thread and post in your work. As a reference point as I do.
Innocent.gif
.......... until it becomes memory.
Innocent.gif

Last edited by joeswine; 10-17-2013 at 04:36 PM.
icon1.gif
Remembering the differences
Capitalization, is the process of adding sugar unfermented grape must in order to increase the alcohol content after fermentation. The technique was developed by the French chemist John Antoine Claude CHAPTAL, for whom it was named contrary to popular belief, this process does not make the wines sweeter but only artificially inflates the alcohol content. Additionally, the sugar in capitalized wine cannot be tasted.
Innocent.gif

Potassium metabolic sulfate, wine, or must additive, where informed sulfur dioxide gas. This both prevents most wild microorganisms from growing, and it acts as protective antioxidants, protecting both the color, and a delicate flavor typical dosage is 1/4 teaspoon potassium metabolic sulfate from 6 gallon bucket of must. Winemaking equipment to sanitize by sprang with a 1% solution or two tables teaspoons potassium metabolic sulfate per liter solution.
Innocent.gif

Potassium sorbate, is used to inhibit molds, and yeast in wine. Also known affectionately as wine stabilizer potassium sorbate produces sorbate acid when added to the wine. It serves two purposes. When active fermentation has ceased and the wine is rack for the final time after clearing, potassium sorbate will render any surviving yeast incapable of multiplying. yeast living at that moment can continue fermenting any residual sugar into CO2 and alcohol, but when they die no new yeast will be present to cause future fermentation. when a wine is sweetened before bottling, potassium sorbate is used to prevent from re-fermentation when used in conjunction with potassium metabolic sulfate. It is primarily used with sweet wines, sparkling wines, and some hard ciders but may be added to table wines which exhibit difficulty in maintaining clearly after fining.
Innocent.gif

Do you remember these? Do You know how to use these? What you should do is copy this now this whole thread and post in your work. As a reference point as I do.
Innocent.gif
.......... until it becomes memory.
Innocent.gif

Last edited by joeswine; 10-17-2013 at 04:36 PM.

user_online.gif

Back