Combination Wine Sweetener/Conditioner - Use Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryF

Reaction score
I just picked up a few jugs of this stuff, prepared invert sugar syrup because it was on a clearance and got 'em for a buck each (didn't notice any expiry date on them). Could this syrup be used for the additional sugar requirements in a primary fermenter (for when you wanted to up the ABV potential) or can it only be used for sweetening "after" finished fermenting and wine has been stabilized?

Jerry:dg

Jerry...wine conditioner has k-meta plus sorbate added, so I personally would not use it as an added fermentable. That being said, the ONE time I used it thinking it would backsweeten and stabilize my dry wine it fermented 75% of it out. I do not use it, but if I used it on the backend I would definitely add k-meta plus sorbate.

Although wine conditioner contains sorbate (I don't think that the ones I've used contained K-meta), the amount of sorbate is only enough to stop the conditioner itself from fermenting. There is not enough sorbate in it to prevent your wine's fermentation from starting up again, UNLESS you use a certain amount of the conditoner.

So, yes, add K-meta and sorbate to the wine before adding conditioner post fermentation.

I have never used it pre-fermentation. I would be concerned that if you are using over a certain amount of the conditioner, that you would be adding enough sorbate to hinder the fermentation.

So how much is that certain amount? That may depend from manufacturer to manufacturer. The info I have is that 15ml per litre (or 345 ml per 23 litres/6 US gallons) contains enough sorbate to prevent re-fermentation and thus presumably hinder the initial fermentation..

Steve

Jerry...wine conditioner has k-meta plus sorbate added, so I personally would not use it as an added fermentable. That being said, the ONE time I used it thinking it would backsweeten and stabilize my dry wine it fermented 75% of it out. I do not use it, but if I used it on the backend I would definitely add k-meta plus sorbate.

Hey, thanks guys (saramc and cpfan). I think then I can use this stuff but will definitely keep it for the back end for sweetening "after the k-meta and sorbate" and only then if I feel it even needs the sweetening at all. Still learning guys so thanks again! Jerry:dg

Back