S02 testing kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAlchemist

Reaction score
Can I get some thoughts on SO2 testing kits that are available? I'm on my first kit right now and will probably be kit only for a few years. However, I will eventually make wine from grapes (going to be planting around 30 vines next season). Until then I am planning on bulk aging everything and possibly going to be buying my first barrel pretty soon...so that said, my needs are not great right now, but I will be growing pretty quick and want something that is accurate, reliable, and won't make me wish I had bought something else or spent a little more money resulting in me eventually replacing it.

I was looking at the MoreWine MT140 Economy Aeration-Oxidation Free SO2 kit:

http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/18643/103333/Economy_Aeration-Oxidation_Free_SO2_Test_Kit

As well, the Vinmetrica units look interesting. I have a good pH meter already so probably the SC100-A is what I would need.

But, please any thoughts on any of the products on the market as I'm sure there are many I don't know about yet???

(I know I know, don't make any big investments until I know if I'm going to stick to it...but, I have been brewing for a decade so I'm already all in, the garage has been sacrificed to the fermentation arts :h)

Without a doubt in my opinion the Vinmetrica is the ony way to go. Very easy to use, acurate and has great reviews. I've owned one myself for several years. As far as big investments go, I would rather buy something one time rather then improving on something every year and by the time you get the right unit you end up spending 3x the money.

The Vinmetrica takes about 2 minutes compared to close to 15-20 for each test with an aereation/oxydation unit.

I have the More Wine A/O rig. Its very accurate and inexpensive. As a Chemist by trade I am very comfortable using it. On the down side, set up, the analysis and clean up will take you about 40 min all together for one test. The phosphoric acid is kind of expensive to buy from More Wine (~$35 hazardous chemical shipping fee applied) so it pays to see if you can find it locally (pool supply company) and make your own (simple dilution). Other than that the chemicals are dirt cheap.

Without a doubt in my opinion the Vinmetrica is the ony way to go. Very easy to use, acurate and has great reviews. I've owned one myself for several years. As far as big investments go, I would rather buy something one time rather then improving on something every year and by the time you get the right unit you end up spending 3x the money.

The Vinmetrica takes about 2 minutes compared to close to 15-20 for each test with an aereation/oxydation unit.

I don't have the SO2 unit - but i do have the vinmetrica SC200 PH/TA analyzer - I have to agree that it is a very simple unit to use...

The Economy Aeration-Oxidation free SO2 test kit you have shared through the link above can be very useful specially for winemakers. If I want to buy that kit then what should I have to do? Because I am also want to start a business of wine, for that I will make wines myself.

Back