Three questions about frequency of racking and stabilizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
I use recipes for gallon batches of country wines (no kits) so perhaps an answer to this question would be obvious to those who use kits, but after I have racked to clear lees once after the secondary fermentation has used up all the sugars, how frequently should I be prepared to rack - every two months or not again until I am ready to bottle (I am "bulk" aging in gallon carboys) or with some other kind of frequency?
Also, should I stabilize every time I rack if I am working with gallon quantities?
And last question: How important is it to stabilize country wines in such small quantities? Is the stabilization as important to prevent oxidation as it is to prevent any fermentation restarting? What if I am confident that there are no fermentables left in the wine? Can I simply let it age quietly for say a year without adding K-meta & P-meta if it will be drunk within say, a year after that? Thanks as always for your thoughts.

I like to rack about every 4 months - if there is sediment in the bottom.

I add 1/4 tsp k-meta per 6 gallons about every 4 months - the longer i age - the longer i wait until i add the k-meta - as each time the wine will retain more SO2.

Do not add sorbate every time - this is a one time addition..

Example I rack:

3 months - add 1/4 tsp k-meta
4 months - add 1/4 tsp k-meta
5 months - add 1/4 tsp k-meta

However - if you can buy a tool to measure the free SO2 - i just have never bought one yet.

I probably rack the least you possibly can.
At the end of fermentation and I add 1/4 teaspoon sulfite (5 gallons)
6 weeks later I rack off of sediment and I do use Sparkolloid-I'll add a pinch of sulfite
6 months or 12 months wine depending, back sweeten, add sorbate, pinch sulfite
1 month later bottle

My wines are kept over winter in a very cool area and most if not all drop tartaric acid

I probably rack the least you possibly can.
At the end of fermentation and I add 1/4 teaspoon sulfite (5 gallons)
6 weeks later I rack off of sediment and I do use Sparkolloid-I'll add a pinch of sulfite
6 months or 12 months wine depending, back sweeten, add sorbate, pinch sulfite
1 month later bottle

My wines are kept over winter in a very cool area and most if not all drop tartaric acid

Steve (or anyone else),

Refresh my failing memory: after adding the K-Meta for bulk aging (the first time), do you leave the ferm wrap heater on or take off and store in cool, dark place until the next rack?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob after you rack off of gross lees, add pot. meta and I use sparkolloid to clear. Keep it at 65-70 degrees if you can as it will clear quick. Cooler is fine but try to avoid hotter. No heat wrap. If you degassed the wine enough during ferm. and at racking within an hour or two you will see it start to clear.

4 weeks or for myself 6 weeks later rack off of sediment, add pinch sulfite and cool age in darkness or semi darkness, away from vibration. I place mine on cardboard or a bottom shelf for 6-12 months. Some longer as they can get hurried by others.

Bring up to room temp. and add sorbate and back sweeten. Add a pinch of sulfite and wait a few weeks to bottle. Wait a month before you begin enjoying. Longer if you can. There is a definite difference between a year aged and 4 years aged.

Thanks, Steve.

It will be placed in my "wine cellar" room in my basement. The temp right now is ~68 degrees and the room is dark. I added the K-Meta and gently stirred the carboy and put the airlock back in place for another 6 weeks. I'll be following your schedule, sans the sweetening as it's a dry red.

Cheers,

Bob

PM me if you have any further questions. When it's finished you may still want to sweeten a bit. My reds go from good to great when gravity is raised to .994-.998 grape depending. It really brings out the flavor.

Steve -

How much sugar per gallon raises the gravity 004?

4 ounces of sugar by weight will raise specific gravity .010 per gallon

My wines finish fermenting below .990
I add a little sugar (inverted in wine) to get it to or slightly above .990. From there it's right on the mark providing you completely invert the sugar and blend it well.

I do not adjust for temp. as its all room temp. when I sweeten.

To raise gravity .004 you need 1.6 ounces by weight inverted sugar per gallon

I'll take about 2-3 cups of wine and add 4 ounces of sugar. Barely warm it to invert the sugar. Then in a beaker I mix some dry and sweet wine to get a reading maybe .995 for a red. We'll do a taste test. Adjust and try again to get it right on.

Once I know what gravity I wanted I blend the sweet with the dry and get a new reading. Calculate what I need from there to my desired gravity. Invert the correct amount of sugar in some wine and blend. Add sulfite and let it rest a few weeks.

Until you get really good at it I suggest you underestimate the sugar by a few ounces just in case.

Remember 5 gallon carboys are not exactly 5 gallons. Etc.

Latest posts

Back