TA with pH meter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
When useing a pH meter to check TA it seems like the volume of liquid you use would have to be more that used with the tritation method. I need more detail explanation on how this is done. I'll sign this with SIRS signature - dumb question
Thanks
Semper Fi

Do the test just like with a TA kit, but you don't add the phenythalonine since you use the meter to determine the changepoint, which is a pH of 8.2. Either use a stir plate or use the pH meter to stir the wine and test solution as you add the sodium hydroxide. When you get about 7.5 slow down as it goes quickly from then on. Measure how much sodium hydroxide was used ( a syringe makes it easy or a burette in a stand). Perform the calc as usual when you hit a pH of 8.2.

Need more advice: I just tried to check the TA on some wine. With the pH meter I have, 3 cc doesn't give me enough liquid level for the electrodes to reach the wine. I used the smallest container that the electodes would fit into and allow me enough room to drop the Naoh in.
Any suggestions? Can I use 5 times as much wine and use 20% of the Naoh used and get a correct TA?
Thanks
Semper Fi

I think I found out how to do it.----Is this it?

6.) Use your pipette to draw 15cc sample of wine (must) and place in 250 ml Flask or 50 ml Beaker. To draw a sample
into the pipette, apply a vacuum (you may gently suck on the red end) to the end of the pipette when inserted in your
sample. “Do Not Use This Pipette to sample the .2N Sodium Hydroxide”.
7.) Draw 20 cc of water into your pipette and add it your sample.
8.) Fill the syringe with 15-20 cc of .2N Sodium Hydroxide and gently squeeze the solution into the top of your
“Closed” burette. “Caution Sodium Hydroxide is Hazardous”. Avoid all skin contact, if contact occurs wash with
water. For eye contact wash with cool water for 15 minutes and seek medical attention. If swallowed contact your
poison control center immediately.
9.) Place an empty container under the burette (not your wine sample) and slowly open the burette valve (stopcock) and
allow 1-2 ml’s of solution to escape and fill the burette spout. Close the valve.
10.) Record the amount of solution in your burette. You will subtract the amount used from this number to determine
your TA.
11.) Measure the pH of your sample with your pH meter and place your wine sample (flask) under the burette.
12.) With one hand on your wine sample and the other on the burette valve, gently swirl the sample while “SLOWLY”
adding sodium hydroxide.
13.) Stop frequently and measure your pH with your meter. With practice you will be able to hold your pH meter in
your sample while swirling and adding sodium hydroxide.
14.) Titrate until your pH reads 8.2. Slow down as your pH approaches 8. It is easy to over shoot your target.
15.) Record the ending solution level in your burette once you’ve achieved a pH of 8.2 in your sample.
16.) Subtract the recorded starting solution level from the ending solution level to determine your TA. Your TA equals
.1 times the amount of .2N Sodium Hydroxide use to reach a pH of 8.2 in your sample. If you used 5 ml of solution​
to reach a pH of 8.2 your TA is .5g/L.

Ummmmmm. Normally you add like 5 cc of wine and dilute it with a set amount of water asy 15 cc and use the sodium hydroxide on that. I use a Hannah meter now so I don't remember the exact instructions. SOmebody else help bud please.

Yup that should do it- you beat me to the answer. Must have been finishing up while I typed it. I am busy in the winery right now so I can't be real timely.

Latest posts

Back