WineXpert First batch cooling down

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashy

Reaction score
Yeah, I hate waiting to throw in the yeast.

The wife came up with the bright idea of stacking various fake ice containers (the kind you put in lunch coolers) around the outside of the primary and then wrapping them in a towel. Hopefully this will drop the temp to below 75 so I can do some pitching!

Waldo puts ice in a ziplock bag which I guess he drops in k-meta
solution, rinses and drops right in the must to drop temp. Great Idea
huh

Works Great Wade..and yes you want to sanitize the zip loc bag before you put it in the fermenter

The yeast has been pitched! Yeah, and verily, it doth ferment with abandon.......

or something like that.

The spigot had a very small drip of a leak earlier so we opted to leave it in the bathtub for primary fermentation. The wife has dubbed it 'tub nectar'
smiley29.gif

Sounds like it time to dunk that arm in some sanitizer up to the elbow and then tighten that spigon snag
smiley36.gif

I'm with Waldo, I'd have to sanitize the 'ole arm and tighten up that nut so as not to loose another drop of the precious nectar.

The leak stopped leaking after 10-15 minutes, so it wasn't much of a leak I guess.

Am I the only one that thinks 'tub nectar' just doesn't sound like something one would drink? LOL

WE HAVE BUBBLES!!!!
</font>

Approximately 1 bubble every 2 seconds (yes, I timed it) popping up through my little vodka-filled airlock.

I may have to pull the curtain on the bathtub. I keep wanting to go stare at it to make it go faster....

Edited by: trashy

I don't know about that name Waldo, me thinks his better half has named it "Tub Necter." You know how women are about naming offspring!
smiley4.gif

Welcome aboard Trashy. You have I see, been bitten by the bug and infused with the virus which has no vaccine other than to have carboys full of percolating grape juice.
smiley2.gif

Waldo said:
Why certainly he did Wade...He has named it "Bubbles"
smiley36.gif

Heh!

Speaking of bubbles, the rate has increased to about one per second. There's a nice yeasty smell when I first walk into the bathroom.
smiley3.gif

Pepere said:
I don't know about that name Waldo, me thinks his better half has named it "Tub Necter." You know how women are about naming offspring!
smiley4.gif

Welcome aboard Trashy. You have I see, been bitten by the bug and infused with the virus which has no vaccine other than to have carboys full of percolating grape juice.
smiley2.gif

Well, the batch still has to pass the taste test. But if it simply tastes better than weak, sour apple cider it will have surpassed my previous attempt at making beer. Not much of a challenge, really.

Last night the bubbling action seemed to have slowed down, but this evening it's back to nice steady bubbles. Three days of fermenting, so I'm thinking my room temperature is good. I was concerned about fermentation burning through the sugar too fast.

48 hours to my first SG test!

trashy;welcome... Looks like you are hooked on this great hobby....have fun and enjoy
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif

My whole basement smells of wines perking. My wife cant stand the smell but I love it.

still nice slow bubbling action this morning - 1 every 3 seconds or so - in a couple of hours I'll do my first SG test! I told my wife we can't travel overnight this weekend cuz I gotsta babysit.

smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back