PH Testing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
I just did a PH test on 2 of my scratch wines that are finished fermenting and starting to clear. The test strip on both read between 3.6-3.8, is this good? If not what should it be and what is the best way to adjust it? The Acid levels were between .60%-.65% when I started fermentation.

Those numbers look good for both pH and TA....I would say no adjustment needed.

Good work!
smiley32.gif

What is the good range for PH and what does it really tell you about the wine?

Uff, that's a tough question. One that I've been pulling my hair out for over 6 months.

But here goes nuttin'.... Just what I've read and gathered from my own experience. I'm not a pH whiz, so bear with me.

I've read the magical number for pH in wine is 3.5 or so. If your 0.3 or 0.4 in either way, it doesn't matter. It's still okay.

pH is something that tells you the "sourness" in the wine. If it's LOW, that means acid is HIGH. (2.5 means lots of acid, conversely, 4.5 means it's LOW in acid).

If the pH is in the range, it is usually universally liked by all (not talking about theingredients). If it's higher or lower, you'll probably get some critical comments about it. I personally love wines that are a bit more sour than most, so it's also a personal preference.

I have started to use my pH-meter to test commercial wines that I buy and see what I like. It seems to be going well.

Furthermore, the thing to remember is to take a pH reading of the must and the finished product. If you need to correct the must, it can ward off bacteria and whatnot better with the correct pH. What's the "correct" pH or the target pH of must? I haven't figured that out yet, and don't remember where I could find it.

Hope this helps to get you started....

Martina

Thanks for the info Martina. I am just using strips right now but, I am hoping that Santa brings me a meter on Christmas morning...
smiley2.gif

I am going to have to do some research...

Martina hit the main points, and mentioned that pH level is important in
terms of protection of the wine. A lower pH provides a greater degree of
bacterial protection, while a higher value leaves the wine more accessible to
invasion. The amount of sulfite needed for protection can be much less if
the pH is low. You are right to want to do your own research - there is a lot
of info out there. See Jack Keller's web site for starters, his section about
acids.

Bill

Back