Beginning a Winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the enthusiasm Paul. I realize that I have a LOT to learn. There is a local winery which is going out of business voluntarily and is looking to sell thier assets. I'm looking to pay about 40 cents on the dollar to grab some gently used equipment

I got shot down by the PLCB due to my wife working at a hotel that has a liquor license (she had no dealing with the bar). PA has the most antiquated, unrealistic, unenforceable laws, which totally piss me off.... Not only can my wife not be a manager or co-owner, I can't have the winery at my house (my wife is co-owner) or invest in my winery (my wife is on the checking account). This does not pass the sanity test. She has nothing to do with the bar at her hotel, nor is she named on their PLCB account...... Very frustrating.......

Shot down AGAIN by the PLCB due to my wife working for a hotel that has a liquor license. They don't care that she has nothing to do with the license at the hotel. My options are to have her quit her job (best solution) or to remove her name from the deed of the house, and from the winery, and from our joint bank account. Don't think she's gonna go for that one. I keep telling her we should just chuck it in and move to NC, buy 20 acres and put in a vineyard....

An unlikely event, after being prodded by ffemt, my wife has decided to relinguish her part of the winery to me for the tidy sum of $1. This gets her off of the ownership of the winery (this will appease the 1920's statutes of the PLCB). She will also let me become the manager of the winery (appeasement #2 of the PLCB). From a ruling cited by the PLCB, they will let her continue to own our house which contains the winery and let her continue to have her paychecks deposited into our joint home savings/checking account which will fund the winery. We hope this pleases the powers at the PLCB/PA state police or whoever grants liquor licenses in the state of PA.

Please note that the PLCB now ranks up there with telemarketers, banks and the cable company as my least favorite people to deal with....

An unlikely event, after being prodded by ffemt, my wife has decided to relinguish her part of the winery to me for the tidy sum of $1. This gets her off of the ownership of the winery (this will appease the 1920's statutes of the PLCB). She will also let me become the manager of the winery (appeasement #2 of the PLCB). From a ruling cited by the PLCB, they will let her continue to own our house which contains the winery and let her continue to have her paychecks deposited into our joint home savings/checking account which will fund the winery. We hope this pleases the powers at the PLCB/PA state police or whoever grants liquor licenses in the state of PA.

Please note that the PLCB now ranks up there with telemarketers, banks and the cable company as my least favorite people to deal with....

So since she is stepping away from the whole licensing thing but her name will still be on the house, then you will be paying rent for her half of the house? :)

I don't think I would even try in PA. You don't want to know how easy it is in ND at the state and even local.

today's update: I spoke with the PLCB attorneys today. I told them that I would buy my wife out of the winery and replace her as manager, She will still be co-owner of the house and our joint bank account. The attorneys didn't think that would fly.

About 20 minutes after that phone call, the PLCB called me back. They said she COULD be a part owner of the house and the bank account due to a new clause in the regs. I then asked about the relevance of this law and was told "its an old law". I was then told that just because I complied with what the PLCB attorneys said, the Licensing folks may or may not agree with thier own attorneys. (left hand does not know or agree with the right hand). So now I have to re-do my operating agreement, fill out additional forms and re-interview because my state has archaic liquor laws. <smh>

update: my wife graciously sold me her 51% stake in the winery for $1. I had to re-do the paper work to make myself the manager of the winery in our house and had to resubmit the paperwork removing any mention of my wife.

One step at a time. We had d much easier time. Today was our opening day and it was a smashing success. Good luck!!!

so back to my saga.....

Winery sold to me by my wife, and we now have to provide documentation of the meeting minutes which we decided on doing this (Really PLCB??). Completed my dual employment form to say I have a job and will manage the winery. I was going to have to re-do the lease, BUT the PLCB decided to tell me about a clause that they decided to have about 10 years ago which says a spouse can be employed at a licensed establishment and own a house/bank account which is being used for the winery. HOWEVER.... she has to sign and notarize an affidavit that she will have no control or influence at the workings of the winery.

Hercules had easier quests than this one.....

Success!

One step at a time. We had d much easier time. Today was our opening day and it was a smashing success. Good luck!!!

Greg, just for giggles, how many cases did you start out with and where are you selling (own winery or at a business/farmer's market). How is business after a month?

We bottled our first 120 cases - 5 different fruit wines. Right now they are only available at the winery. We had a lot of people on opening day using only social media to spread the word. Last weekend was a little slower but picked up well near the end. So far I think it's a great start. Nearly everyone who has stopped in to taste wine has bought some.

Latest posts

Back