Growing Tobacco

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joea132

Reaction score
After somebody mentioned rolling cigars in one of my other threads, it got the wheels turning. I did some research and I think I'm gonna give it a go at growing my own. It's totally legal and it grows like a monster here in CT. Plus it's got to be healthier than smoking cigars that are treated with chemicals by the big companies.

Not to mention it's an inexpensive hobby. $16 for 400 seeds! That's a nice break from the $3,000 I spent on all of my winemaking stuff! So what the heck, the worst that can happen is I waste $25.

I tried growing tobacco for the scent in the yard. The seeds are tiny. I never got the plant to do much of anything. If I were going to try to grow tobacco again I would try to find a seedling. I understand that is how farmers plant and grow tobacco. If there are farmers growing it in your area, you might ask them where to get a plant.

In my opinion starting from seeds wold be a waste of $25, but starting with a seedling I think you could give it a good go.

You yeild 3-4 cartons per plant

Last edited:
You may see me in your yard doing a little harvesting when they are mature, orrrrrr you may not see me!!!! :n

Haha Wade! I am going to germinate them inside and pick the best looking seedlings to plant outside. I'm not too worried about them not turning out ok. If nothing else it occupied my time for a little while. Until I have another crazy idea that is!

Airplanedoc, do you know if deer will eat tobacco plants?

Oh crap, maybe its not the deer I have to worry about!
54.jpg

Never seen a deer with lung cancer...

If I remember correctly it is deer resistant. Around here the deer get their fill of Corn and Soybeans

Latest posts

Back