Best 4 Week Kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burton167can

Junior
Reaction score
I am just wondering what people are liking as a 4 week kit. I have 2 carboys typically I like to make a 6 week kit in one and a 4 week kit in the other. This allows me to age the 6 week kit in the bottles and drink the 4 week kit right away.

I have done a few cheeky monkey kits so far (malbec, valipolicella, shiraz/zinfandell) and have been happy with the quality so far, not as good as the 6 week kits but will do for the time being. Tomorrow I am bottling a cheeky monkey (sangiovese/syrah) and wineexpert 4 week malbec, I will share the results.

I am going to continue with the 6 week/4 week at the same time and wanted some suggestions. I seem to have access to almost any of the major brand name kits out there and would be happy to receive some suggestions, I am not brand specific, but have found the instructions on Vineco stuff the best.

Hopefully someone will chime in here for ya cause I dont do the smaller kits unless they are the Mist style for a few friends.

Well I'm a definite Vineco fan...the Cheeky Monkey and Ken Ridge Classic are good for their price/size. I do prefer the Ken Ridge Showcase though.

The Grand Cru International series from Spagnols and Winexpert's World Vineyard brand should be in roughly the same price/quality range.

The Cellar Craft Sterling Collection should also be in the same ball park, but I do not know much about it. It appears to be a 5 week kit though. Would like to try one someday.
http://www.cellarcraftwine.com/PDFs/Cellar_Sterling_HI.pdf

Steve

I have had alot of success with the WE Vinters Reserve White Zin. Which is typically ready to bottle in 30 days and ready to drink 30 days after that. However most times the wine is ready to drink (people seem to think so) after one week in the bottle. Therefore I consider it a six week kit.

Steve

My recommendation would be the Spagnols Grand Cru International kits. Most of the reds include a dry grapeskin pack and are excellent value for the price. They are 12 liters and technically 5 week kits.

Although I have not not tried the above kits but would have to say as a Grape pack user that they add a much needed body to any red kit wine. You can also buy grape skin packs and add them to these lesser value kits that In my opion fall very flat on taste and body.
Here is the link to where you can buy grape skin packs.
http://www.finevinewines.com/c-367-grape-packs.aspx

I agree that some of the kits could use a bit more body, particularily the CM Shiraz/Zin. Flavor was great, but needed a bit more body.

I know my local retailer sells grape skin packs, but have never really looked at them. Do I need to buy a specific variety of grape skins to match the kit that I am doing? Or are the packs roughly the same?

Can I re-use the grape skin packs? How many times?

Thanks for the tip on the Gran Cru international 5 week kit, I will give that a whirl.

Back