Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Beginners Wine Making Forum > Hi PH at start, 4.6 using meter

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:13 AM   #11
Scooter68
Still getting started at 20 batches & 2 years

Aug 2015
Liked 466 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 497

I know that sprinkling yeast has become the norm for many folks but.... I still give mine a jump start with a starter-rehydration solution:
2 oz warm water
1 oz juice
1/3 of a 1/8tsp measure of Fermaid-K
1/8 tsp Yeast Nutrient
Yeast of choice stirred in to the above then -

Cover in a warm place and normally within 2 hours I have plenty of bubbles on top. So far in the last 6 batches where I've followed this process - 100% start of fermentation within the first 24 hours - several withing 12 hours. My current yeast of choice is K1-V1116

Temp in area where I start the fermentation has been 70 - 75 degrees

NO off smells or SO2 issues since I started doing this with Apple(2 batches), Peach (3 batches), Blueberry,

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

Old 10-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #12
Fran365

Dec 2016
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 75

oops2: Well folks I can end this post with something that might help newbies. So I believed I had a dead must that would not support my 2 pitching s. I watched eagerly for the air lock to bubble and it never did. 2nd day check of SG showed nothing was happening. Other things came up and the fermentor was left alone except for a few stirrings. Today, day #9, I planned to dump it in the compost and begin again. As I checked it out I thought to make a last SG check for my records and to my great surprise, again, the SG was .990. A little inspection revealed a tear in the cover of my much used 2 gallon bucket: the co2 created found it easier to escape here than through the airlock. Smok1, you warned me, but I did not hear you. So I've done a sparkloid treatment and will rack in a week. Thanks for the replies, Fran

Old 10-15-2017, 03:50 PM   #13
Arne

Jun 2010
Liked 776 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 292

LOL, good to hear it is fine. Some ferments can sneak by and nobody knows it happens. Good luck with it, hope it tastes great. Arne.

Fran365 Likes This 
Old 10-15-2017, 06:56 PM   #14
Smok1

May 2017
Liked 178 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter68 View Post
I know that sprinkling yeast has become the norm for many folks but.... I still give mine a jump start with a starter-rehydration solution:
2 oz warm water
1 oz juice
1/3 of a 1/8tsp measure of Fermaid-K
1/8 tsp Yeast Nutrient
Yeast of choice stirred in to the above then -

Cover in a warm place and normally within 2 hours I have plenty of bubbles on top. So far in the last 6 batches where I've followed this process - 100% start of fermentation within the first 24 hours - several withing 12 hours. My current yeast of choice is K1-V1116

Temp in area where I start the fermentation has been 70 - 75 degrees

NO off smells or SO2 issues since I started doing this with Apple(2 batches), Peach (3 batches), Blueberry,
I always give my yeast a good start as well, goferm while waking it up, so e fermaid k while its thriving and maybe a little a fermaid o during the lasts of it life. We expect our grapes are gods gift so we should treat it with the same respect.

Fran365 Likes This 
Old 10-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #15
Scooter68
Still getting started at 20 batches & 2 years

Aug 2015
Liked 466 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran365 View Post
oops2: Well folks I can end this post with something that might help newbies. So I believed I had a dead must that would not support my 2 pitching s. I watched eagerly for the air lock to bubble and it never did. 2nd day check of SG showed nothing was happening. Other things came up and the fermentor was left alone except for a few stirrings. Today, day #9, I planned to dump it in the compost and begin again. As I checked it out I thought to make a last SG check for my records and to my great surprise, again, the SG was .990. A little inspection revealed a tear in the cover of my much used 2 gallon bucket: the co2 created found it easier to escape here than through the airlock. Smok1, you warned me, but I did not hear you. So I've done a sparkloid treatment and will rack in a week. Thanks for the replies, Fran
NEVER trust an airlock on a plastic bucket to judge activity during primary fermentation. Bucket lids rarely seal well. You should be able to smell an active fermentation in about 24-48 hours after it starts. SG readings are the only way to evaluate the extent or progress of a fermentation.

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

Fran365 Likes This