Beginning or End?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmurphy

Junior
Reaction score
Ok, just drove in a little while ago from an 1100 mile trip visiting relatives.
Tired and do not want to use what little brain power I have remaining to do any serious reading.
So here is where I am at.

I harvested a bunch of black Muscadines about a week before this trip.
Using a Mehu-Liisa steamer/juice extractor I reduced about 40 lbs of Muscadines to 2-1/2 gallons of concentrated liquid.
I let that cool to about 100 degree.
I took 1-1/2 gallons of liquid and added 1 gallon of water and placed in a 3 gal carboy (sterilized with potassium metabisulfate)
I added 1 package of Red Star Montrachet to that.
I placed that in my computer room (about 66-68 degrees)
I didn't note any active fermentation after the first day so brought the room temp up to about 70 degrees and the fermentation kicked in.
I dropped the room temp down to about 68 and had a nice fermentation for about a week and then had to leave for 10 days to see relatives.
It is now late, I am back and there is a slow ferm rate of about 1 bubble every 20 seconds.
I think I need to re-rack now and add 2-1/2 campden tablets. Is that correct?

I don't know much
but I know I like wine
and that may be
all I need to know.
(Ronstadt/Neville)

Thanks
Dennis

Time isn't the deciding factor - Take a SG reading, If it's at 1.010 or below rack to secondary. DO NOT add Campden tablets unless the SG reading is below .995.

Since it's still bubbling a little that suggest a slow fermentation still going on.

Racking decisions should always be based on the SG readings NEVER on time.

Thank you,

SG = 1.00
I have re-racked the wine.
The steam extraction has produced a extremely fine must. My extraction time may need to be shortened.
Virtually no residue and very cloudy. The carboy sat undisturbed for a little over two weeks.
Right now the wine has the color of pink grapefruit juice. Also has a slight champagne type feel and a fruity flavor.
Not sure about the aroma, I would never guess it was wine though.

I suppose I'm in for a 90 day wait at this point.
Thanks again

Check the SG after a couple of days. If you were at 1.00 when you racked to secondary, you can check it every couple of days. If it isn't bubbling that doesn't matter. When the SG doesn't change for 3 days in a row, fermentation is completed. Normally that happens as some point below 1.00. Anywhere from .999 to .990.

At that point you can crush and dissolve the campden tablets and rack once more into a clean carboy. (Or just crush the tablets very well and put them into the clean carboy just before you begin racking.) The wine flowing into the carboy should dissolve the tablets if they were properly crushed.

Remember to record and date the info as you go. Good notes will save you time and effort on this and future batches.

Once racked into the clean carboy you can expect to see clearing start. Sometimes it takes a few days to a week to see something significant but in about 60 days you should see much more clear wine.

Latest posts

Back