Other Color of Pinot Gris okay?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iridium

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just finishing up secondary fermentation of a master vintner Pinot Grigio kit. The color is not what I would expect. I plan to add the kieselsol but skip the vigorous degassing step the directions call for. Instead I plan to bulk age for at least six months.

Does it seem reasonable to add the kieselsol without degassing?

The second issue is color. The wine smells fine and looks fine but is the color of cider and not the very pale whites that I am used to. I am attaching a photo to show the color. Anyone else have this result?

This is a one gallon kit if that helps.

IMG_1926.jpg

Filtering it will make a worlds of difference. I had a dandelion wine that looked a lot like your wine and once I filtered it it became a beautiful sparkling clear wine . Search my threads for dandelion wine and look through it until you find the pick of me filtering it.

BOB

I am just finishing up secondary fermentation of a master vintner Pinot Grigio kit. The color is not what I would expect. I plan to add the kieselsol but skip the vigorous degassing step the directions call for. Instead I plan to bulk age for at least six months.

Myself and many others have foregone the vigorous basic degassing routines in favor of either vacuum degas or splash racking (every 3 months) when aging. "Patience we have learned young winemaker"...

Last edited:
I degassed the last kit. However I have to degas in primary fermenter and did not like that the wine was exposed to 1.3 gallons of air for a couple of days. Also I plan to bulk age for awhile and figured degassing would occur natually

I would bulk aging with CO2 to protect against oxidation (racking every three months or something apply sur-lie aging) and then adding fining agent before bottle with degassing if necessary (with vacuum only) and a three-week clarification before bottling.

Latest posts

Back