Limoncello, take 2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just did a large batch of cello. We messed around with some ginger and mint in some them but by far the best was limecello that we made! We zested everything but I see peeling is probably the better way to go. Man.... So much time zesting. Still have my knuckles some how.

Well, I transferred the extract from mini carboy to empty bottle. Will make simple syrup tonight and blend. My lemons stayed in 9 days total. No idea if that was long enough. It is a very deep golden color. Took a sip and it is very lemony and obviously "hot" being straight Everclear at the moment. Ended up with 26oz. so after mixing per Kraffty's ratio should end up with 3 - 750's.

lemon.jpeg

I also strained the lemon skins last night and today need to make my inverted sugar simple syrup.
I only have about .450ml and not sure yet on how much sugar syrup to add at the moment.

I also strained the lemon skins last night and today need to make my inverted sugar simple syrup.
I only have about .450ml and not sure yet on how much sugar syrup to add at the moment.

If you are making it according to Kraffty's recipe, you will add 900ml of simple syrup(made 2 parts water/1 part sugar).

Ok, because I over analyze things, check these numbers. I am trying to mimic @Kraffty 's recipe.

If I have 24oz. of Everclear extract and I need to dilute it to 1 part extract to 2 parts simple syrup, then I need 48oz.of simple syrup to add to the 24oz. of Everclear extract, correct?
And to achieve the 48oz. of 1 part sugar/2 parts water simple syrup, I will need 3 cups sugar and 8 cups(48oz.) water, correct?

There must be a formula for how much 2 cups of water plus 1 cup of sugar actually equal but it seems to me it's about 2-1/2 cups finished. I mixed up more than I needed by a couple of cups and just tossed the extra down the sink once I blended with the ever clear. Sugar is cheap.
Your color looks great and will look really bright once you dilute.
Mike

There must be a formula for how much 2 cups of water plus 1 cup of sugar actually equal but it seems to me it's about 2-1/2 cups finished. I mixed up more than I needed by a couple of cups and just tossed the extra down the sink once I blended with the ever clear. Sugar is cheap.
Your color looks great and will look really bright once you dilute.
Mike

Ok, so my numbers appear correct to you?

Yes, I am sure it will produce extra with the sugar added in the mix but that was my plan too, just dump what I don't need.

Thanks for the recipe, looking forward to the finished product..............as are my other "friends" I have told about it.

D.J., yes on the numbers. One more thing once you finish. Serve it from the freezer ice cold. The version I made from Vodka would ice up in the freezer and try to freeze. This version from the ever clear gets a little syrupy but does not freeze. We served some "blind" again on Easter to a couple of friends who said they had in in Italy but the couple of bottles they bought and tasted here were not very good by comparison. Both wanted to know what brand it was so they could buy some. Got to love the chance to brag a little bit on your own stuff.
Post more pics when you finish.
Mike

D.J., yes on the numbers. One more thing once you finish. Serve it from the freezer ice cold. The version I made from Vodka would ice up in the freezer and try to freeze. This version from the ever clear gets a little syrupy but does not freeze. We served some "blind" again on Easter to a couple of friends who said they had in in Italy but the couple of bottles they bought and tasted here were not very good by comparison. Both wanted to know what brand it was so they could buy some. Got to love the chance to brag a little bit on your own stuff.
Post more pics when you finish.
Mike

Awesome Mike, appreciate all the help.

Gotta love that, thinking your "homemade" is store bought or distillery made. Good stuff.

Well, mixed everything up and ended with a 1/2 gal. carboy and a 375 ml bottle, so right at 3 750 ml bottles.
Took a sip and not bad at all but again, I don't know what I am shooting for as I have never had limoncello. And my simple syrup was still a touch warm (not hot) so I am sure this will taste completely different once chilled/froze.

Now, of course, my mind got to thinking about making a similar product with oranges or limes or anise or ?????

Resized_20170418_192755.jpeg

Orange cello is another good one. These are pretty much just extract liquers, which means the possibilities are almost endless. Lemon, lime, key lime, orange, tangerine, etc. You could also do coffee...

Question: I normally try to use organic lemons, as they don't have the wax coating that 'regular' lemons do. Anyone notice a residue or other issues using regular lemons? Obviously, the organic ones are much more expensive.

Last edited:
Orange cello is another good one. These are pretty much just extract liquers, which means the possibilities are almost endless. Lemon, lime, key lime, orange, tangerine, etc. You could also do coffee...

Question: I normally try to use organic lemons, as they don't have the wax coating that 'regular' lemons do. Anyone notice a residue or other issues using regular lemons? Obviously, the organic ones are much more expensive.

Good point Jim. I recall RayWay or Jericurl doing endless vodka extracts a few years back. Since I am a weightlifting/health nut, I wouldn't want to drink a lot of these due to the high level of simple sugar. However, I love creating things so I would keep a little and gift the rest.
Hmmmm, coffee sounds interesting, especially since I roast my own beans. Of course I only drink black coffee so not sure how I would like the "sweet" coffee flavor. I may give that one a try along with an orange/vanilla.

So I just used lemons from a local mexican store here in town. Rinsed them off a little and started peeling them. I read later about "de-waxing" them, getting the pesticides off, etc. but didn't get overly critical with that.

Oldest daughter who lives in Burbank, CA came in to spend a week with us and brought a little care package from the back yard!

3 dozen Meyer lemons and about couple dozen tangerines!

Wonder what to do with all those lemons...... :db

IMG_2118.jpg

Latest posts

Back