Cellar Craft Clearing process between CC and WE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which one do you guys like more?
CC brings 2 packages of each kielosol and chotosan, the chitosan being much bigger.

WE, is now bringing a single small package of kielosol and that's it, so 1 step versus 2 steps in CC.

CC clears way faster and I only use 1 pack of each kielosol and chitosan, I discard the others.

I'm taking @johnd lead and am going to let my next red kits settle naturally. I want to see if the use of clarifiers is another way for kit companies to help sell 6 or 8 week kits at the expense of dissolved solids that may increase body and nose if left alone. Just a thought and something I'm going to play with.

Having said that, I've never had a problem with WE kits clearing using their one step.

Varis, I much prefer the 2 step process. I've only done one CC kit but when living back in CT did many RJS kits. As best as i can recall all my RJS higher end kits were 2 step clearings.

Since moving to PA ~2 years ago I've only done WE kits (+ country wines and 1 juice bucket). On a couple of WE kits I've gone with SuperKleer and noticed faster clearing but have mostly done the 1 step with the kits and just been a little more patient for the clearing to take place. The frugal in me just doesn't like buying SuperKleer when WE supplies its own clearing agent in the kit.

I do my country wines like I did my higher end RJS kits (not VdV which had me go dry in primary) and one CC kit. Rack off the primary sediment, rack off the secondary sediment, etc. before clarifying with 2 step agents. It really does bug me to stir the secondary sediment back into the wine like WE has you do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back