Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Special Interest Wines > Stinging Nettle wine

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:03 AM   #1
Elforg

Sep 2014

I have bin planing to make some stinging nettle wine for some years. But where I live I rather not pick anny nettles, becasue there ar to hevvy trafick around. But I'm wondering if you could use dried nettles instead of fresh? This would give me the posibility to pick when I wissiting my parents!

Old 01-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #2
Arne

Jun 2010
Liked 777 Times on 631 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Lets see if this will work. @Bernard Smith , makes some light flower type wines. Maybe he will know the answer you want. If this doesn't get him to help, try p.m.ing him. Find a post he has made on here, click on his user name and it should come up where you can private message him. Arne.

hounddawg Likes This 
Old 01-25-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
BernardSmith

Dec 2011
Liked 810 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 435

I have never tried to make a nettle wine and have no knowledge about any differences dried nettles may have from fresh plants. Don't have any access to my books at the moment (won't be home until later this evening) but I wonder if CCJ Berry discusses making nettle wine using dried nettles (I know he has a recipe for nettle wine and I would assume that in principle you could use about 1 - 2 oz of dried leaves for every pint of fresh leaves) But that said, and again, I am speaking totally without any practical knowledge of this kind of wine, I believe that you can buy stinging nettle tea. Assuming that there is no problem with overly extracting tannins, I would make a gallon of the tea but rather than add more tea bags to the liquid take the boiling water off the heat and allow the tea to steep at about 210 F for about an hour and then strain the liquid from the leaves and add your fermentables (sugar or honey ) to the liquid, aerate, add K-meta and allow the tea to cool overnight then pitch your yeast 24 hours after you added the k-meta (or campden tabs). But I cannot emphasize enough that I have never had any dealings with nettles except as a boy in Scotland where I was routinely stung by this plant in overgrown and untended yards and gardens

Old 01-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #4
DoctorCAD

Jan 2012
Liked 484 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You could just drink ground glass...

Not sure I would make any food item from a "stinging" plant. I don't think poison ivy wine would be a big seller either!

JohnT Likes This 
Old 01-28-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Elforg

Sep 2014

I might try that

Old 01-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #6
JimmyT

Sep 2014
Liked 103 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elforg View Post
I might try that

Which one? The ground glass or the poison ivy wine lol?

Old 01-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #7
BernardSmith

Dec 2011

But CCJ Barry does have recipes for stinging nettle wine... and apparently it is a lovely wine...

Old 01-28-2016, 08:22 PM   #8
DoctorCAD

Jan 2012
Liked 484 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardSmith View Post
But CCJ Barry does have recipes for stinging nettle wine... and apparently it is a lovely wine...
Maybe it is, but I think I'll skip it,. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go rack my Owens Corning Pink insulation wine. 😂

hounddawg Likes This 
Old 01-29-2016, 07:20 AM   #9
JohnT
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Feb 2010
Liked 4404 Times on 2403 Posts
Likes Given: 3276

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardSmith View Post

AHHHH, yet another wine that is based on a dare..

Just who told you that wine made from a weed is any good? Was this source the butt of a "dare you to drink this" challenge?? Perhaps he/she is looking for another patsy??

I really need to ask why on earth someone would spend time, money, and equipment on something like this???

Old 01-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #10
BernardSmith

Dec 2011

Don't shoot the messenger.

hounddawg Likes This