WineXpert Eclipse Forza

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ceeaton did you add any wine tannin at any point or is the juice just that tannic naturally?
I think it is naturally higher in tannin than most standard red kits (other than maybe a premium Cab Sauv or Petite Verdot kit). I twisted my own arm and just opened up one, the astringency from the tannins have died back a bit, I'm sure due to the fact that it has been in the bottle a while longer. It's dark enough I can't tell if there is any extra sediment in the bottle, so I poured a bit more in my glass and then tilted the bottle on it's side. Definitely some sediment in the bottom which I would attribute to normal aging (and possibly sediment from bottling it within 6 months of making due to young winemaker syndrome (impatience)).

I never added the EC 1118 yeast, so mine ended up finishing with a higher gravity (notes say 0.993 @ 70*F which equates to 0.994), so there is some residual sweetness, though the description on WE's site mentions a residual sweetness in the flavor profile, even when fermented dry. It reminds me of a Amarone, but I don't notice a heavy raisin flavor (which I don't love), just a very mild candied sugar sweetness. Not sure about the new formula, but I don't think extra tannins are a required addition if the Eclipse version is anything like the LE version. Sometimes we add things much like a cook does when making a dish to make it more "our own".

Edit: I did fail to mention there is a bit of alcohol in this one, drink with care (hic, hic, burp).

Back