Juice Bucket (should I, Could I........)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
One of the local markets around me will begin stocking 6 Gallon Juice buckets or grapes from "Suisun Valley/Lanza Vineyards or Washington State".

Given that they are priced between $59 and $69 I am tempted to split one with a wine making friend. For economic reasons and storage space I dont think I could do one myself. however I could ferment it and then split it in half.

Anyway, I have only done 1 juice bucket before and that was from Mosti Mondale ($110 a bucket), it showed up cold and you simply lifted the lid and it began fermenting.
Given that at the time I was an utter and complete wine making noob, I was ignorant of the process and I did not age or sulfite properly and the end result was lousy and unrepairable.

So now I wonder how much more is involved in a bucket, I tend to make kits. I ferment, rack and add Kmeta. I have no sensors or PH gauges or SO2 scales.

But are they required for a bucket, or can I get away with adding acid blends and tannins and winging it?

You wouldn't want to add any acid to a bucket unless you knew that it was needed. I'm wondering if you could convince your supplier to at least measure the pH for you before you took the bucket home. In addition, there are a few questions you'd need to answer before jumping into this:

1) Are the buckets pre-innoculated, or do you need to buy yeast?
2) Would you plan on doing MLF?

I have never paid more than $52.00 for a Regina juice bucket. 110.00 way to high. Anyway there is a tutorial on fermenting juice. It's extremely easy.

Regina buckets were stabilizes, acid and ph balanced. Don't know about that brand.

You wouldn't want to add any acid to a bucket unless you knew that it was needed. I'm wondering if you could convince your supplier to at least measure the pH for you before you took the bucket home. In addition, there are a few questions you'd need to answer before jumping into this:

1) Are the buckets pre-innoculated, or do you need to buy yeast?
2) Would you plan on doing MLF?

I have no idea, but I can call and inquire.
Does it make it easier if they are?

Last edited:
There will be some wild yeast in the bucket. The K-Meta will stun that until you add your yeast.

You should open it, add Pectic enzyme and 12 hours later add yeast.

:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u

I called and was notified they are not Pre-Innoculated
And they will not check for PH.
The guy simply stated "you buy it, you open it, you make wine, I do nothing but sell it to you."

I have no doubt he is selling legitimate juice, because a few people from another forum have done them, and refereed me to them.
Just curious if it is worth my time to give it a try since I am a juice bucket Noob.

And no there was no plan on MLF, I am not even sure how I would do that!

Last edited:
I was turned off to juice buckets when I was told by a fellow (not one of the owners) at my LHBS that I should think in terms of two years for the wine to be ready to drink. At 70 years of age waiting 6-8 months is long enough for me before enjoying the fruits of my labor. I'm happy with my kit and DB wines and don't see juice buckets or grapes in my future. Had I started this hobby as a younger man I think I would have gotten more heavily involved.

Latest posts

Back