Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Special Interest Wines > carrot wine???

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #21
jensmith

Aug 2012
Liked 49 Times on 42 Posts

Yeah, the "worse" part of wine making, taste testing!!! :-) I think I need to go do some taste testing myself....

Old 12-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #22
BernardSmith

Dec 2011
Liked 810 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrictodyefor View Post
So I used the calculations in a book I have written by C.J.J. Berry, and the starting sg ended up being 1.092, that was on 11/23. It has been working great so far, has slowed down, but not sure if it is done, 2 days in a row now the sg is at .998. But the two days before that it was at 1.000. I did take the mesh bag of raisins out yesterday, figured all was squeezed out of those raisins and carrots! So will give it a few more days, then rack to a car boy...
In my opinion, Berry's book is a lot better in terms of thinking about principles than in following his recipes in any literal way. I am currently making a gallon of carrot wine but using store bought carrot juice. The SG of the juice was about 1.030 and I added about 1.5 lbs of sugar which brought the gravity up to 1.090. I added 1 t of pectic enzyme
I checked the pH and added about 3 T of acid blend which brought the acid level down to about 4.00 (so no need to add oranges and lemons)
Rather than use raisins I added 1 t of nutrient and 1/2 t of energizer. The yeast I used is 71B and I added 1/2 t of tannin. I also added 6 gms of oak chips to the primary (and so will rack off the oak in about a week or so when the gravity drops to about 1.010.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #23
fabrictodyefor

Aug 2013
Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardSmith View Post
In my opinion, Berry's book is a lot better in terms of thinking about principles than in following his recipes in any literal way.
I didn't use his recipe for carrot wine, just his "formula" on raising the sg. I did learn with my first ever batch of wine...never follow the recipe verbatim! Always better off testing the sugar level. The recipe I used is from page one of this thread; from bein_bein. Being new, I didn't realize maybe I should have fermented with the oak....too late for that now. It is in a car boy now with the "stick" of oak, and the top part of the wine is definitely turning a darker color. I racked it and added the oak on 12/2, but will probably thief a touch later today to taste. As always I so appreciate the help and suggestions from this forum, I so often feel lost in this new venture!

Old 12-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #24
BernardSmith

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrictodyefor View Post
I didn't use his recipe for carrot wine, just his "formula" on raising the sg. I did learn with my first ever batch of wine...never follow the recipe verbatim! Always better off testing the sugar level. The recipe I used is from page one of this thread; from bein_bein. Being new, I didn't realize maybe I should have fermented with the oak....too late for that now. It is in a car boy now with the "stick" of oak, and the top part of the wine is definitely turning a darker color. I racked it and added the oak on 12/2, but will probably thief a touch later today to taste. As always I so appreciate the help and suggestions from this forum, I so often feel lost in this new venture!
I don't know that you "need" to ferment with oak. I added the oak to my primary because I intended only to ferment with the oak for about a week or so. When I rack the caarot wine to the secondary then I rack it off the oak and there is no chance that I will forget it's in there and over-oak the wine. But I am pretty certain that you could add oak even just before you intend to bottle. Adding oak to wine is simply turning on its head the idea that you age wine in oak casks. I guess the one big difference is that if you use a cask to age the wine the cask breathes and allows for some very small amounts of oxygen to enter. If you add oak to the wine and age the wine in a carboy there is no infusion of oxygen.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #25
fabrictodyefor

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardSmith View Post
I don't know that you "need" to ferment with oak. I added the oak to my primary because I intended only to ferment with the oak for about a week or so. When I rack the caarot wine to the secondary then I rack it off the oak and there is no chance that I will forget it's in there and over-oak the wine. But I am pretty certain that you could add oak even just before you intend to bottle. Adding oak to wine is simply turning on its head the idea that you age wine in oak casks. I guess the one big difference is that if you use a cask to age the wine the cask breathes and allows for some very small amounts of oxygen to enter. If you add oak to the wine and age the wine in a carboy there is no infusion of oxygen.
I'm so new at this I gaze at my carboys everyday!!! That is why I did notice that after only 2 days the top part of the wine is already a darker color than the lower part.....so I did "thief" some out of the carboy...and was astonished that there is already a difference. But I did "thief" off the top. I will probably leave the oak in a few more days, then rack it off. So much to learn.....

People Like This 
Old 01-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #26
Winorick

Jan 2014
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A year ago, I saw a recipe in "Mary's Recipes" from Purple Foot in Milwaukee, for Hoppy Carrot Wine. It turned out great - very faint carrot taste, refreshing and it was left dry. For one gallon:
3 lbs Shredded Carrots
1/2 oz Hops
2 lbs Brown Sugar
1/2 lb White Sugar
2 tsp Acid
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 Camden Tab
1/2 tsp Yeast Energizer
1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 pkt Premier Cuvee Yeast
I think that next time I'll increase the hops a bit.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #27
BernardSmith

Dec 2011

What hops did you use? Were these dry hops or did you boil them? and if dry , how long did you keep them with the carrots and if boiled , for how long did you boil them?

Old 01-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #28
LoneTreeFarms
Idiot

Jan 2011
Liked 57 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I'm with Bernard, can we get a few more details on this one? it sounds good and I've been wanting to do a carrot wine for a while now, this sounds right up my alley.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #29
Winorick

Jan 2014
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I went to the Beer supply store and started to look at all of the hops that they had, I sort of short circuited. So I just bought a 1oz package of dried hops, and i never bothered to even write down what kind, just that they were a "General Purpose" hops.
I peeled the carrots and shredded them, and along with the hops, added them to a straining bag. They were then boiled in about 3/4 gallon of water until the carrots were tender. I did not note the time that the cooking took, probably an hour. The liquid was then strained off, and the hot liquid was then poured over the sugar and allowed to cool before the other ingredients were added. Some of the cooked carrots were added to a soup and some just went to the compost pile. My starting SG was 1.10 and final was .990, so I got about a final ABV of 14%. I use Premier Cuvee yeast, mainly because by cellar is on the cool side. I think that the key to the subtle flavor is removing the carrots prior to fermentation.

I really wanted to make a 5 gallon batch last week because Aldi's had carrots on sale for .25 per pound, but...... Maybe next time!

LoneTreeFarms Likes This 
Old 07-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #30
fabrictodyefor

Aug 2013

On 11/20/13 I picked carrots and using bien_bien's recipe from this thread I made carrot wine. I also set mine on medium American Oak, but only for 10 days. Over the past 7 months I have racked a few times and just let it sit and bulk age. I had company over the 4th and pulled a few glasses of the carrot for us to taste...Success! It is already very clear, if I can figure out the picture thing, I'll get a picture on here. But the flavor is great! Definitely a class all it's own! We did not like it chilled, but at room temp. mmm, wonder if there is time to plant more carrots in my garden!