Question about degassing.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolaide187

Reaction score
Alright I have been working on a bottle of wine for about 2 months now. I stabilized it about 2 weeks ago. It stopped fermentation at 1.010 which I also asked about and most everybody said just call it done because if you push it any farther you have a chance of messing it up. Either way it smells really good right now and I can smell the CO2 still in it slightly and each day a little less.

My question is... for 2 weeks I have been vigorously stirring the wine carboy buy spoon and also tried doing it with swirling it on the inside. It's got a little room in the top but not much it's pretty well topped up already. But every time I stir it... it continues to release CO2. I stir for about 3 mins and then again 15 mins later and do it about 2 to 3 times a day. I am trying to be very careful not to let oxygen get in by covering the lid with a towel or something and holding it firm with my hand. But it continues to release CO2. How long will it continue to do this? I have added the K-Meta and K-Sorbate so I am pretty sure it's done fermenting and I don't think it's that. The hydrometer isn't changing readings either. Getting frustrated with how much I am having to degass it though. Any suggestions? Should I call it done? Like I said I have been in the process of degassing it for 2 weeks which doesn't seem normal to me. Is it because after I degass it I am reattaching the air lock right after?

What is the temperature of the wine? Are you sure that the wine finished ferment the final SG seems high to me. The last part of fermentation can be slow. Sometimes when a ferment is stirred it will restart as the yeast needed some O2 to take off and this also puts more of the yeast cells in suspension.

Well i've already stabilized it. The SG isn't changing. You think the fermentation is still going after the K-Meta and K-Sortbate have been added?

It is one of the things that can happen. You really can not stop an active ferment with sulfite and sorbate. There is only one way that stops a ferment and that is fortification with a distilled alcohol. some have tried with cold temperatures but the results are mixed if you do not sterile filter with an absolute filter while cold. As soon as the wine warms again it will start to ferment. If your SG is stable then no you are not still fermenting. What temperature is the wine at while you are trying to degas?

Are you sure you're getting CO2 bubbles and not just air? The wine will degass much easier if you have closer to 75 degrees.

If you taste a sample, can you feel any bubbles on your tongue?

Latest posts

Back