? about Grape juice wine...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaineGal

Reaction score
On 2/24 we started a batch of grape juice wine using our own juice.

Fermentation has stopped and we have racked to a 6 gallon carboy.

Do we need to add more campden now? (we put 5 in when we started this wine)

Thanks!

When you degass this wine, I would add 3 to 4 more tabs...then you will be good for about 3 months when clearing....Good luck

Just when you stabilize and degass when fermentation is done...

MaineGal said:
On 2/24 we started a batch of grape juice wine using our own juice.

Fermentation has stopped and we have racked to a 6 gallon carboy.

Do we need to add more campden now? (we put 5 in when we started this wine)

Thanks!

I would like to hear at what point you added the 5 campden tabs (before, after or along with what))

i asume you made a 5 gallon batch.
smiley4.gif

What kind of grape juice did you use? You also might want to consider making a f-pac depending what juice you used. Did you add pectic enzyme in the primary?

Post recipe and what you did so far..for more suggestions

What were the instructions (recipe) you used?
You started the juice 17 to 18 days ago. Isn't it time to degas now?
If so, isn't it also time to add more Kmeta and some sorbat?
We need to know a little more about the recipe.

Thanks everyone.

Not sure what kind of grapes they are. They were here when we bought the house. Picked them two years ago and steam-juiced them.

Started the wine on 2/24

Used two gallons of juice
3 gallons of water
5 campden-crushed
12 lbs of sugar
3 1/3 tblsp. Acid Blend
2.5 tsp tannin
3 tsp Yeast nutrient
1 packet of Yeast

It has stopped fermenting (and this one fermented vigorously!), and we have racked it to a carboy.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

1st What was the starting gravity?
What is it now
Did you do a TA test or just added the acid blend.
Before stabilizing you need to be checking the gravity 3 days in a row to see it it changes. It seems like alot of water you added.

tepe said:
1st What was the starting gravity? </font>
What is it now</font>
Did you do a TA test or just added the acid blend.</font>
Before stabilizing you need to be checking the gravity 3 days in a row to see it it changes. It seems like alot of water you added.</font>

Starting SG was 1.06. Yesterday it was .9902.
I will check it again later.
It did seem alot of water to me as well, but I had someone here helping me and that is what she told me to put in.

I did not do a TA test when we started this.....I recently bought a wine testing kit though.

1.060 is low for a grape wine. I think it will come out with little body and flavor. Google and download WineCalc. When making wine from grapes/fruit/something else just input your gravity and where you want it to be and will tell how much sugar to add. Remember take the water from the must and heat that then add the sugar so it dissolves

Tepe, Is there anything I can do at this point to "fix" it??
I checked the wine Calculator and it says the ABV is currently 9.48%.

Looks like your wine is finished andI see nothing to donow. Gravity of 1.060 =8-9% alcohol.
You can make a patio wine out of it.. Add ginger ale soda to it and make like a wine cooler.

Ugg...sorry to hear that.

Oh well...we live and we learn.

So what do I do at this point??? Stir the heck out of it (degas) and add more campden?

Then how long before I bottle?

I know...so many questions! Thanks for your patience....I'm just a noob!
smiley1.gif

You say the gravity is .990 so time to start to stabilize.

Sorry I missed this yesterday. I think you have incorrectly recorded some information here and there. First you have a really accurate hydrometer if it read .9902. Something isn't right there. Next, there is no way you have a 8-9% wine and a starting SG of 1.060. You had 5 gallons liquid and added 12 pounds of sugar. Using the following chart from Jack Keller's site, you added enough sugar to make it 12.9 % with no sugar supplied by the juice. I might believe it was 1.060 with the original juice and you added 12 pounds of sugar (or was it 2 pounds). Let's sort it out here because things don't add up.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/hydrom.asp

Appleman,

Are you implying that I dont know what I'm talking about??????
smiley36.gif

It's quite possible I dont. LOL...

I told ya....I'm a newbie

OK, here are my notes...

Started with 2 gallons of juice and 3 gallons of water.
Added 5 crushed
campden
12 lbs of sugar
3 1/3 Tblsp Acid blend
2.5 tsp Tannin
3 tsp. nutrient
1 packet of yeast

The starting SG was 1.06

Maybe I read the hydrometer wrong when I took the last sg reading??? I'll try it again.

Well....at the top of my hydrometer it starts with 990 It measures right at the short line under that....Isnt that .9902 ??

I did just give it a taste and it's very strong.

I say if indeed you added 12 pounds of sugar and you read the starting gravity then all the sugar sank and/or not mixed well.
When adding sugar its best to take 2-4 quarts out of the primary and heat it in a BIG pot then add sugar and stir till its dissolved.
I missed the 12# of sugar part.. Good catch Appleman.

Latest posts

Back