Degassing Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackfin1

Reaction score
I just degassed a 6 gallon batch of Mezza Luna Red as per the instructions. I degassed for a half an hour using a mixer and drill. I tested by filling half a test jar with wine, covered and shaked. I noticed it made a puffing sound over and over again. How long does the degassing process take? Should I continue to degass?

Thanks,
Sal

Now lets just say when we say degas we mean SLOWLY stir and the traped gas will rise. I'm betting you used high speed and got "froth". Doing this can oxidize your wine.

Stirring like that probably whipped air into the wine. The majority will ease out over time but you may still have trapped co2 in the wine.

Do as Tom mentioned stir so that you do not churn up the wine. You can also use a paddle spoon and make quick but slight moves in the wine that will allow co2 to escape, or buy a vacuum pump.

Last edited:
Your right, I did use high speed and created a froth. So, should I try to degass again or should I just leave it, being I probably introduced o2 into my wine?

Thanks,
Sal

Appreciate the above comments. I just assumed the electric drill was the way to go (whipping like crazy). Never thought that one would be adding O2. Guess I'll stick to the paddle and mix slowly.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back