What is the longest homemade wine from juice will last for before it peaks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
What is the longest home made wine from juice will last for before it peaks?

If I have it in the carboy for 6mo or so, and then bottle it, how long am I looking at it to last in the bottle and still be good?

Depends on a number of factors, Amung them being, the amount of tannins, the PH level, Amount of SO2, and the type of closure you use.

I make all of my wine from grapes, and keep the tanins rather high since I do not bottle my wine for a minimum of 2 years. Tannins are a great preservative in wine. as a result, I do find that my Red Zins and Cab Savs have real staying power. I still have some of both wines from 1992. I open only 1 bottle a year (at crush). This year, the wine was holding quite nicely, however the ulage (the amount of empty space in the bottle) is growing. For closure, I use natural cork.

I find, however, that the flavor of most of my white wine significantly fades after 6 years (I normally do either a chardonnay or a chennin blanc). That is not to say that I would pour it down the drain, just that the wine softens to the pont of loosing the "crisp" flavor that I like in my whites.

But JohnT, The amount of time that the Welches was setting on the store shelves doesn't count as part of the aging process.:tz:db:tz:db

OMG ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

I wouldn't be too sure of that. The vintage is determined by the harvest date.

Question: Does the expiration date apply to wine that is made out of Welch's?

If you buy Welches juice that's past the exp. date would that be considered aging????:)

Aside from all the BS, I find fruit wines decline rather fast after 3 years.

BS??? does that stand for Bologna Sandwich
:h

it definitely improves after 12 months...great after 2 years. It does depend on the natural tannins, so drink your whites and lighter-colored fruit wines first if after 2 years.

JohnT, the solution to our problem is to drink it more quickly. :b

Back