WineXpert WE Selection Enigma

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a taste two nights ago. Better, but no where near what I was hoping.

Experience sometimes is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted in the first place.

The added oak didn't hurt. I like a little more tannin in my wines than the kits usually supply. But, I should not have tweaked this so much. The added juice concentrate has over-graped the wine. It's fuller bodied and grapey still. The wine is dense, and port-like without the high abv.

I threatened to dump it all so I could reuse the bottles. My wife suggested I give it away. Sorry, can't do that - won't give someone something that I'm not proud of. This just isn't anything I would seek out.

Im just going to age it another six months till I taste it again.

Time with a wine is an amazing thing, don't sell it short. I've had totally undrinkable wines turn the corner and get much better in the span of 6 months. Bottles are cheap, you've made the wine the way you have, just give it some time to see what happens. Worse comes to worse, you can use it for cooking and marinate, but I don't think you need to resort to that quite yet.

Nine months later and I no longer look at this wine as a total failure. Hawkeye always said, "Time wounds all heels." I think he was right.

This wine is well over 2 years old. Tastes like I wanted it to way back when.

Yay! Not a total failure. My hubby and I set a similar high standard for my early batches: Please, don't be rancid.

Yay! Not a total failure. My hubby and I set a similar high standard for my early batches: Please, don't be rancid.

Read this and cracked up!! I had just finished tasting my new Pinot Gris and I had said the same prayer! Please don't suck!!

Not big on whites anyway.:h:h

Latest posts

Back