PH test

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuz

Reaction score
There is a lot of talk of different PH test. You can buy a roll of ph testing paper in your local drug store. Has anyone tried this? It is much cheaper but not sure of the accuracy due to the color of the wine.

Also, the pH range needed for testing must/wine is maybe 2.8-4.0. Lots of pH paper tests the entire range and that is not precise enough for winemaking. There are pH tests that have a smaller range but that range is not what we need for winemaking (think pool pH test in the 6-8 range).

Even with the right paper reading the coolors is all but impossible with anything but white wines.

An inexpensive pH meter will last a long time if treated right and the readout is quite simple to read.

I hate to waste money but I would never again try the paper route.

Those strips are tough even with good color perception. With reds sometimes you get a color not even on the chart.
But I've found a couple uses for em. StarSan is only effective under a ph of 3.2 or something, and it registers surprisingly well on the color strips. So I'll check any StarSan with em every few weeks. And they also make perfect stirrers if doing TA test by color change.
Here's an old pic. You tell me, 3.2 or 3.6? Big swing and could go either way.
IMG_1505772173.963314.jpg

Last edited:
I see no usable alternative for pH and reds than a pH meter. At ~$60-80 a cheap but servicable one will serve for both pH and to use in titrating TA. Don't skimp on calibration solutions, either.

OK OK - Ph meter. I got it. But all this talk about how important a ph test is. Do we need to test TA. I get that TA shows all the different acids in the must but isn't that irrelevant once you have an accurate PH test.

TA doesn't show all the different acids. Just total titratable acid. And if you have a meter all you need to test TA is a bottle of sodium hydroxide and a 10-20 ml syringe sold at all brew stores.
Cliff's notes: PH shows how strong the acids are. And TA shows how much acid. Some people out there only worry about ph. But TA is definitely a helpful level to know.

So from what I'm gathering, I assume testing pH along with TA would be the best way to cover the bases? (mine has been bulk aging for three months, and tasting a little like citric acid)

There will always be a discussion of this among wine makers and never a decisive answer except that not enough acid and the wine will spoil.

I've chosen to go with pH almost exclusively although I do have a bottle of sodium hydroxide for using my pH meter to test TA. Done that once.

And I have seen some state that their taste buds tell them all they need to know. No tests of any kind.

Since I started watching my pH levels and paying attention to my yeasts' needs (Nutrients) I've had no problems. I've also started using just one yeast variety and that has helped as it's a flexible reliable fermenter.

Latest posts

Back