An Irma prayer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceeaton

slowly going nuts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you've watched the weather forecast, or even play fantasy football, you've heard the news of the large storm approaching from the Caribbean. Here's a sample of some of the not nice things that may happen:

A potentially catastrophic storm surge for Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina

If Irma makes a trek up the East Coast from Miami to southern South Carolina as a Category 3 or 4 hurricane, as the models currently suggest, the portions of the coast that the eyewall touches will potentially see a massive and catastrophic storm surge, breaking all-time storm surge records and causing many billions of dollars in damage. Even areas up to a hundred miles to the north of where the center makes landfall could potentially see record storm surges. The area of most concern is the northern coast of Florida, the coast of Georgia, and the southern coast of South Carolina, due to the concave shape of the coast, which will act to funnel and concentrate the storm surge to ridiculous heights. If we look at wunderground’s storm surge maps for the U.S. East Coast, we see that in a worst-case Category 3 hurricane hitting at high tide, the storm tide (the combined effect of the storm surge and the tide) ranges from 17 – 20’ above ground along the northern coast of Florida, and 18 – 23 feet above ground along the Georgia coast. If Irma is a Cat 4, these numbers increase to 22 – 28 feet for the coast of Georgia. This is a Katrina-level storm surge, the kind that causes incredible destruction and mass casualties among those foolish enough to refuse to evacuate.

My prayer is that anyone who needs to get out of the path of this storm can do so safely. And those who choose to stay will be safe and smart, and hopefully let their pride fall to the wayside and keep their families best interest at heart (and evacuate). I can only image the fear of weathering through such a horrific storm.

My second prayer is that there will be enough resources to help both those in Texas and those in the path of this storm if it does come onshore (or worse case scenario, stay just offshore).

May the protection and the peace of the God you follow help you make it through this trying time and the aftermath that follows. May these events prompt people not affected by this storm to give in ways they never imagined, to help people who have lost and will loose everything recover and come back to some "normalcy", whatever that may be.

I say amen to that . May Everyone in its path stay safe

BOB

Amen to that. I vacationed in the US Virgin Islands earlier this year, and am so saddened to see the destruction there (and other Caribbean locations). Hoping/praying for the best outcome for the remaining islands and the mainland.... :rn

I am on my way out. The center of the cone goes over my county, Baker County just west of Jacksonville. If it hits, there is not much I could do but be very afraid that the very large pines may come crashing down, depending on power and what my neighbor tells me, I will not rush back. I live on a 700 wide open lake and I am on the southwest side. Not good.

Traffic on I10 was bad yesterday and terrible on I95. I am cutting through Alabama to Meridian MS this morning.

thanks for the prayer and concern.

Amen to that! Looks like Miami is going to get whacked.

I saw video of the Virgin Islands last night that looked apocalyptic. Center of town, and everything was gone - just shells of buildings left.

Last edited:
Predictions now have it weakened by the time it reaches us. As of now, we are going to stay. We are 50 miles west of Savannah and are expecting 50-80 mph winds with 7" rain.

Predictions now have the eye traveling well West of us. We are still expecting around 50 mph winds with 5-8 inches of rain. I'm thankful it's shifted, but praying for those in the path.

My son lives in Melbourne, his fiancée in Tampa. Early on they thought Tampa was better, but of course it shifted west. Last night/this morning they drove back to Melbourne. Couldn't find any gas to refill. Even in Melbourne they are expecting 80mph wind gusts and they've already had tornado warnings.

My thoughts and prayers are with you Stressbaby and your family. I know how hard this is when one of your children is facing a danger!

Thanks Julie. Seems they are safe in Melbourne, peak winds now only predicted to be about 60mph. Power is already going on and off however, and they are 140 miles from where Irma will make landfall!

We get the leftovers tonight in southern middle Tennessee. Rain, 25 mph wind and gusts to 45+. It sure did falter quickly once it hit the mainland. Good deal, cuz the Caribbean got clobbered and if Florida was THAT bad, whoa!

Great timing @jswordy. I was just getting ready to email you and see if you had any problems there. Glad you came thru it without any great problems. Tippin a glass to ya. Arne.

We got through it ok. Wind gusts were recorded by my neighbors weather station at 68 mph. We got over 6" rain (my gauge only holds 6") Lots of debris down, but no trees on my place. We lost power for a day and a half. Last year's Matthew was worse for us.

Latest posts

Back