RJ Spagnols Oak Spirals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colorado_wade

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Do you guys, or have you guys used any of the oak spirals for any of your kits? If so, did you like them, and would you recommend them? What stage did you put them in?

Thanks for any advice!

Wade

I've added medium toast French spirals - two per bulk aging batch. I like oak, so your mileage may vary. Big red kits, I've added two new spirals at each three month racking

Is there any reason why they could't be used for each stage after primary fermentation? Or should I wait until after secondary?

Cheers!
Wade

As far as my limited knowledge goes I don't think commercial wines, produced by the smart folks, ferments in barrel or in contact with wood. Therefore, I save the spirals for at least my 1st 3 months of bulk aging...

Hey everyone!

Do you guys, or have you guys used any of the oak spirals for any of your kits? If so, did you like them, and would you recommend them? What stage did you put them in?

Thanks for any advice!

Wade

Some kits call for oak dust during fermentation and there is such a thing as barrel fermented in the world of commercial wines. Check this article out. I don't use barrels but I have used oak in my kits if it call for it at fermentation but I normally reserve spirals, staves or cubes for the secondary fermentation and or aging. I prefer oak cubes because they settle to the bottom where as long staves will sometimes stick up above the neck if too long.

Hey everyone!

Thanks for any advice!

Wade

I have a oaking tube (Stainless tube that holds chips) which I would say mimics a spiral. I use it for the first portion of bulk ageing. I also use a barrel, buts it neutral at this point. I like oak but not over the top.

Usually something like;

First 6 months bulk age in carboy and i cycle in usually 1 or 2 oak tubes.

Second 6 month bulk age in neutral barrel - topping off with a split every 4-6 weeks

Bottle and age for another year.

My barrel because its neutral gets no oak flavor on the wine, but its very important because its used for micro oxidation in the wine, not really for the flavor. After 4 batches went through the barrel, I started supplementing with the oak tube.

The barrel really smooths out the wine though, I usually have a split or two left after barrel ageing, and the difference from the wine coming out of the barrel at 6 months and the topping wine (same original wine) is very noticable.

Latest posts

Back