Other Oak spirals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanmach

Junior
Reaction score
I'm bottling my 8th premium kit and now want to begin to add some additional oak. Tell me your favorite brands, characteristics, methods, tricks, traps and time on this additive.

We like big, bold and oaky reds.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Last edited:
I would add oak chips during your fermentation. Toss them out when you rack. When you start your aging process I would add the oak spiral of your choice.

I was at a winery buying some Norton must the day after it came in and I noticed a bunch of bags of oak powder. I'd swear that I also saw oak powder on top of their Norton must. Does this sound right?

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Oak powder is added to the fermentation to add tannins that the grapes lack or need. I believe the oak flavor and some of the tannins are sacrificial meaning they don't carry through to the end product but are more for the structure and mouthfeel of the wine.

During primary fermentation, they tell me, compounds in the must such as proteins from grapes will bind to any tannins present in the must. In this context, then, sacrificial tannins serve to be bound to those proteins, leaving the natural tannins (i.e., from the grape skins) free to survive primary fermentation.

I would add oak chips during your fermentation. Toss them out when you rack. When you start your aging process I would add the oak spiral of your choice.

I follow a very similar pattern.
In primary I add the oak that comes with the kit and may add some Heavy, American Oak Chips.

Then I age for 3 month on Med Toasted Hungarian Cubes.

I dont use Spirals or Staves mostly because my LHBS only carries a light, untoasted oak and I am not really into that.

I will on occasion, if the wine is going to be a big & bold age on both Hungarian Cubes and Oak chips.
I find 2 different oaks can add a complexity that I like.

But you experience may vary!

I started toasting my own white oak. Even now the house smells of carmel. vanilla and smoke. I cut it into 3/4" x 3/8" x 10", toast @ 400f till it smokes, about 40 min. I am very happy with results thus far.

http://www.infusionspiral.com
These spirals are simply the best & available at almost every winemaking site. 6 weeks for full extraction. The customer service is also great. They answered all my questions immediately. No sanitizing just place in demijohn.
Salute!

Latest posts

Back