Is "stuff" floating on top of secondary juice normal?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr2step

Junior
Reaction score
I just racked my primary muscadine must to a secondary glass carboy 2 days ago. Fermentation seems to still be going on as I am getting bubbles still in the airlock. However, I have noticed that I am beginning to get "stuff" floating on the top of the juice. Is this a normal thing to be getting with secondary or is there something more sinister going on like bad bacteria inside the mix? I would love to hear some suggestions and recommendations if I need to be getting rid of it. Would this constitute foam? I filled the carboy up to the shoulder as suggested on many sites and books but never have gotten any increase in volume uptake as the juice has stayed at the shoulder and not risen and therefore, no foam. Help! Should I be worried?

Is the must from grapes or juice?

Keep in mind there's a lot of things that go on during this part of the process. I honestly think your fine....others will chime in soon.

What was the SG at racking?

It is common to see stuff floating on the top of the wine in the neck. It will settle down with time. Even if it doesn't settle with the lees over time, it is of no consequence to your wine, as you can rack off it later. As fermentation slows, the wine will settle better.

The reason the SG is important is that there has to be enough alcohol in the wine when trensitioning from primary to secondary fermentation to ward off other organisms. As long as you were at roughly 1.040 or lower, you'll be fine.

I was at 1.010 at racking and it was muscadine grapes not just juice. I am using Red Star pasteur Champagne yeast. Initial S.G was 1.085 if that helps. I just am afraid of bacteria growing in the wine during this time. There seems to be enough alcohol but was just curious as to other's experiences with this phase of fermentation. This is my very first try at fermenting anything other then pickles.

If you can post a picture that might help, but I think you're probably fine. I wouldn't worry just yet (I know...easier said than done).

Very considerate of you to illustrate your point with your avatar...way to go above and boyond my friend!

That is too funny - I didn't even realize that!! I have had that avatar for a long time now. So that statement didn't even dawn on me... :)

Back