Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Kit Winemaking > Vineco New Passport 2017 limited editions

Old 05-31-2017, 08:13 AM   #71
biscmc

Mar 2016
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabo View Post
I started my Kookaburra kit last night and pitched BM 4x4 this morning. Measured 1.080 @ 71F, but I didn't bother to stir it up with the skins at the bottom of the pail before I pitched this morning.

The juice in this kit smells great, but the skins smell/taste amazing. I'm super excited for this one. Since my cellar is getting full, I'm thinking about bulk aging this one 9-12 months and letting it clear naturally. This would be my first attempt to clear a kit with time instead of clarifying agents.
I started my Kookaburra about 8 weeks ago, with extended maceration on the skins. I racked the wine off the lees a few days ago. The wine smells and tastes great.

I think you will be pleased if you bulk age this one for a year. This wine is really heavy; I would watch for protein build-up -- you may have to add clarifiers whether you want to or not.

Grabo Likes This 
Old 05-31-2017, 10:03 AM   #72
Grabo

Feb 2016
Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscmc View Post
I started my Kookaburra about 8 weeks ago, with extended maceration on the skins. I racked the wine off the lees a few days ago. The wine smells and tastes great.

I think you will be pleased if you bulk age this one for a year. This wine is really heavy; I would watch for protein build-up -- you may have to add clarifiers whether you want to or not.
Good to know! I'm okay with adding clarifiers if I need to, but I figure I'd give it a shot to do it naturally. I'd just plan to use less clarifiers than the instructions call for.

Did you add any k-meta during the extended maceration? Since I am going to wait this one out, I've considered racking with the skins over to my 6.5gal wide mouth to finish fermenting and then letting it sit for some extra time.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #73
biscmc

Mar 2016
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Grabo:

I did not add extra k-meta yet, though I normally add 1/4 tsp every 6 months during a racking (I bulk age my wines 2-3 years until no more sediment collects).

I should invest some cash and find a reliable way of measuring free SO2.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #74
lilvixen

Jun 2016
Liked 95 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 130

I checked on the Kookaburra today, which is in secondary. SG: 0.994, which is drier than any of my other wines. I pitched D254. Next weekend, I'll rack and degas and let it sit quietly while I stress my way through a graduate summer class. (2 classes left till graduation, I can do this!) From the few drops I tasted, this one's going to be good, and I'm already giddy excited!

Old 06-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #75
biscmc

Mar 2016
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

My Kookaburra is degassing. But developing a white film on the surface (protein overload). I would watch how long you keep your wine on the gross lees on this one.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #76
lilvixen

Jun 2016

For those who have done the Kookaburra, how is the body on yours? The description says full-bodied, but after secondary, the sip I tasted doesn't strike me as full-bodied (yet?). We had a 2014 Paso Robles Syrah tonight with dinner that didn't seem full-bodied either, reminding me of the sip of the Kookaburra, but it was more tannic.

- How is the body on your Kookaburra?
- Did or will you add tannins to your Kookaburra?
- Did or will you oak your Kookaburra?

I like tannic, oaky wines, but I'm trying hard not to make every wine I make oaky and tannic since what's the point of different varietals if I'm going to make them all similar? But then I have a tannic wine and think, "mm, mine should be like this!"

biscmc Likes This 
Old 06-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #77
biscmc

Mar 2016
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

If you are looking for full bodied, I would recommend using as few clarifiers as possible, and let the wine naturally clarify itself. It will take several months, but I imagine you would be happier with the product.

As for the oak, the kit came with a large amount of oak chips already. I would be leery of adding any more.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #78
lilvixen

Jun 2016

I've only tried a couple GSM blends and Syrah/Shiraz over the years, so I don't know what I'm looking for. My expectations were set by the Vineco description, so I suppose I'm confused because the Kookaburra doesn't seem full-bodied like the Eclipse Cab or Showcase Carmenere I bottled last month, which were also listed as full-bodied. I don't mind the Kookaburra being more medium-bodied if that's how it's supposed to be, I just didn't expect that.

Because the Kookaburra seemed lighter, I only used one package of the kieselsol and chitosan when I racked it this weekend, and I'll rack it again in 5 weeks (a little longer than the instructions recommend, but I need to get through a summer class) and let it sit for another 3 or 5 months before I bottle it. Hopefully that's enough time for it to clear, because I have a kit waiting in the closet for this carboy.

@biscmc, so I gather that you plan to leave your Kookaburra as-is, other than bulk aging it for f o r e v e r ?

Old 06-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #79
biscmc

Mar 2016
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

@lilvixen: Ideally, I would like to leave my Kookaburra as-is, however I am faced with a few challenges since I deliberately strayed from the instructions.

The biggest impact is that I added dried currants and black cherries to the secondary, and I kept the wine one the grape skins for an extended maceration for about 8 weeks. I should have added pectic enzyme to break down the proteins earlier, however I now have a wine that is very cloudy, and is developing a creamy film on the surface.

I am watching closely, but I reckon in a matter of a few weeks, I will have to choice but to add the kiesosol and chitosan in order to bring the proteins under control.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #80
lilvixen

Jun 2016

I racked the Kookaburra tonight; it's about 2 months old and has a gorgeous garnet color.

After racking, I stirred and tasted it, and it was still gassy, despite degassing when I added the clarifiers and sitting at a constant temp of 74* for the last 5 weeks, bummer. I was sadly underwhelmed and disappointed by my thiefed sample: it had that same off-taste I taste in the 10L and 12L kits I've made, and I was really bummed. I bumped the carboy (it's plastic) when I tilted it to get the last bit during racking and mixed up the sediment, so I didn't end up racking as much as I'd hoped. I poured the leftover sediment and wine in a large glass to settle so that hubby could sample it when he came in from working on his project car. That glass sat for at least an hour after I tasted the thiefed sample, and hubby tasted it and said it tasted good, why was I disappointed? So I took a sip, and it was quite different and that weird flavor I've associated with midlevel kits was gone. I'm hoping that with aging (and/or breathing?), this will be a good wine. I still have the glass settling on the counter, so I've been sipping samples to see how it changes each hour. I'm more hopeful now than I was when I racked that this will turn out good. At this point, it doesn't seem as awesome as the Eclipse Cab or Showcase Carmenere I started in Jan and bottled in Jun, but I'm holding out that it will taste better than the WV Trinity and Sterling Malbec I learned winemaking on last summer. And yes, I know, youth and all, but I remember the En Primeur Super Tuscan, Eclipse Cab, and Showcase Carmenere being good at each racking and lacking that off flavor. The Kookaburra finished at 0.994, and I did not use sorbate. I'll leave it to bulk age 4 months before I bottle it.

I previously asked about additional tannins and oak, and I'll be doing neither. I think it's fine as-is from the settling glass and doesn't need any more tweaks for my tastes. I'm wary but hopeful about this one.

sour_grapes Likes This