Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Meads > What to do what to do??

Old 01-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #31
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015
Liked 2059 Times on 1150 Posts
Likes Given: 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburtner View Post
It's gelatinized lees, pulp, and material? I googled something like "cider floating sponge" and it appears to be byproduct of a process called keeving. Lots of pictures and this looks exactly the same. From what I read folks trigger this reaction maybe with a calcium chloride addition in cider making but generally early on or before fermentation. It binds up nutrients in order to slow the ferment and maintain a sweet finish? Hmmmm. I was trying for the opposite - there is still significant bubble activity in the must because it's making this cap float.

It's almost like a clearing agent has been added but ferment makes it float. Dead yeast lees are on the bottom so this is slightly different.

Thanks
-johann.b
I did a little research, interesting process. One of the key "ingredients" for keeving appears to be extended periods of temps at 5 degrees C. Assuming you haven't been chilling your carboy for a week, it doesn't sound like you've happened along into that process.

It sounds like it's fermenting, which is what you're shooting for, have you tried to stir that glob back into the wine or does it just keep forming?

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

Old 01-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #32
jburtner

Apr 2016
Liked 172 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Thanks John! It has been cold down there lately. 45-50*F and the cap is very spongy. I did stir it up and the cap reforms quickly.

I recently added DAP Fermaid K and Goferm protect in the ec1118 starter. Anyway this stuff looks exactly like other photo's of Keeving.

Good or bad - I'm planning to rack on Sunday - check gravity and PH. Would like to het some kmeta in there soon.

Might start another couple batches - Merlot and Sauvingnon Blanc. I picked up some dried apricots to pitch into a cleared chardonnay just now on oak.

Cheers!
-johann
IMG_3807.jpg  

Old 01-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #33
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015
Liked 2059 Times on 1150 Posts
Likes Given: 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburtner View Post
Thanks John! It has been cold down there lately. 45-50*F and the cap is very spongy. I did stir it up and the cap reforms quickly.

I recently added DAP Fermaid K and Goferm protect in the ec1118 starter. Anyway this stuff looks exactly like other photo's of Keeving.

Good or bad - I'm planning to rack on Sunday - check gravity and PH. Would like to het some kmeta in there soon.

Might start another couple batches - Merlot and Sauvingnon Blanc. I picked up some dried apricots to pitch into a cleared chardonnay just now on oak.

Cheers!
-johann
If your wine is in an area 45-50 degrees, you should put a brew belt on it or move it to an area to get the temps up above 70, it'll definitely help your fermentation along.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

Old 01-14-2017, 09:46 PM   #34
Mismost

Aug 2015
Liked 567 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 384

Cheers!
-johann

I bet you will like the apricots! I have used them in a Chardonnay and a Pinot Gris, we really like a hint of apricot. Now my Dad, he wants to be clobbered with apricot...so I use them in the primary and secondary...I really should just make him a straight apricot wine.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #35
jburtner

Apr 2016

This one is coming along. I ended up letting the spongy stuff sit and it eventually softened up and disintigrated into the mead. Cleared with chitosan and all the sediment compacted very nicely. Need to taste a glass and make some room for some oak. Think i'll vacuum rack back and forth a couple times to let the bubbles out...

Cheers!
-johann
IMG_3970.jpg  

Old 03-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #36
jburtner

Apr 2016

I tasted this just this morning and the apple flavor is really starting to come forward which is very nice. I had added some tannins a while back and was worried but that flavor is starting to mellow now and seems like it just needs some time. Have not oaked yet - just sitting there and getting older one day at a time.

Cheers!
-johann