Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > WineMakingTalk.com Forums > Introductions > 'nother newbie

Old 01-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #11
juice

Jan 2017
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
Howdy Juice, .If it flops (which it probably won't)
I'm glad you have confidence Thank you Arne and everyone else for the kind welcome.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #12
ceeaton
In my terrible twos of wine making

Feb 2015
Liked 2138 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 2293

Welcome to the forum. Blueberries benefit from some sweetness added after stabilizing. Would love to have a bog on my property, but the bears I could do without. Maybe a few bear rugs would take care of that problem!

hounddawg Likes This 
Old 01-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #13
juice

Jan 2017
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks to all. I have a thread on my first batch going.http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/...ad.php?t=55681 It tastes pretty good already & "ya gotta start somewhere" right?

hounddawg Likes This 
Old 01-11-2017, 12:33 AM   #14
hounddawg
dawg

Oct 2014
Liked 260 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

welcome to this incureable addition. THESE PEOPLE ARE THE BEST TEACHERS BUT THEY NEVERWARN YOU OF THE EXTREMELY HIGH ADDICTION RATESNORTHE FACT THAT THIS ADDICTION RATE HASNOCURE,,, LOL
DAWG
KNOW YOUR BIBLE, LET NOT THOu BE LEAD ASTRAY BY THE WICKED,,,''' ALWAYS DO THE LEADING DOWN THE WIDE CROOKED PATH ON THE HYWAY TO HELL YOU'LL GET THERE ALOT QUICKER IF THATS THE PATH YOU HAVE CHOSEN, THAT WAY IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT,,

Old 01-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #15
juice

Jan 2017
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeaton View Post
Welcome to the forum. Blueberries benefit from some sweetness added after stabilizing. Would love to have a bog on my property, but the bears I could do without. Maybe a few bear rugs would take care of that problem!
Ceeaton, "stabilizing", when is that? & how is it done? I'm still in the bucket and @ 1.046 right now.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #16
ceeaton
In my terrible twos of wine making

Feb 2015
Liked 2138 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 2293

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice View Post
Ceeaton, "stabilizing", when is that? & how is it done? I'm still in the bucket and @ 1.046 right now.
After fermentation is finished (SG stays the same for three days in a row), most siphon (rack) it to a clean carboy (off of the junk in the bottom of the fermenter) and add Potassium Metabisulphite (Kmeta for short) to help prevent oxidation and Potassium Sorbate to keep any left over yeast from reproducing and eating the sugar you add to sweeten the wine (also known as "back sweetening"). You can let it age for a while if you want before adding the sorbate and then back sweetening it, but it is good to add the Kmeta once fermentation is done (usually 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons of wine, adding more every three months if you age it that long before bottling the wine). I usually also wait a week after sorbate/sweetening to make sure fermentation doesn't start up again before bottling. If it does re-ferment in the bottle, it will eventually push your corks out and make a mess in your wine room.

People Like This 
Old 01-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #17
Bodenski

Nov 2016
Liked 92 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Welcome to the forum!

I'm jealous. My blueberry wine is from frozen berries from Walmart. Maybe this summer I'll get some fresh fruit to make a better wine with.

"1gallon containers are the gateway drug." - NorCal