What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooking pork chops on the grill, this time they really came up good, prepared my own marinade with the following:

Olive oil
Adobo
A bit of soy sauce
A bit of barbecue sauce
Juice from One lemon
Some Costco bought marinade

Then while grilling I made another moist sauce to hydrate a bit with:
Red wine
Apple juice
Honey

The honey gave it a nice touch of a flavor and my boy gave me a high five...not bad for a newbie.

Washing it down with left over WE LE Sauvignon Blanc Rose and some WE Malbec.

IMG_5804.jpg

Last edited:
Cooking pork chops on the grill, this time they really came up good, prepared my own marinade with the following:

Olive oil
Adobo
A bit of soy sauce
A bit of barbecue sauce
Juice from One lemon
Some Costco bought marinade

Then while grilling I made another moist sauce to hydrate a bit with:
Red wine
Apple juice
Honey

The honey gave it a nice touch of a flavor and my boy gave me a high five...not bad for a newbie.

Washing it down with left over WE LE Sauvignon Blanc Rose and some WE Malbec.

pjtr1.jpg

Today, I made a really simple and delicious meal of sausage, onions and peppers over pasta shells. I start by skinning the sausage and then roasting it in a 375 degree oven for about 40 minutes. In the mean time, I cut and saute the onions and peppers. I also did some hot Hungarian peppers for the less faint of heart and keep them on the side. When the sausage is done, I slice it into bit sized pieces, add it to the peppers and onions and add homemade sauce. I covered the pan and simmered the mixture for about a half hour. We served this time over small shells but it works with any kind of pasta. Just add a nice salad, homemade bread and wine and you are in the tall durum wheat.

100_1246.jpg

100_1247.jpg

100_1248.jpg

100_1249.jpg

100_1250.jpg

100_1251.jpg

Playing catchup: the first picture is from last night's dinner. This was a swordfish steak, grilled briefly on high heat, and then served with salmoriglio sauce. Since discovering this sauce (thank you, Marcella Hazen!), this is the only way I have swordfish.

Tonight, we had a lovely beet salad served on arugula. My DW whipped this up from roasted beets, dressing, shallots, and toasted sesame seeds. Served with our by-now-boring corn-off-the-cob (garlic, cumin). The star, however, was thick tenderloin filets. I dry-brined these, then seared 4'/side, then moved to indirect heat. At that point, I basted them with a sauce of olive oil, lots of sauteed garlic, and fresh chopped thyme. Took 'em off heat completely at 112F, and they finished up at ~130 (a bit more movement than I expected, but still bueno!). More of the sauce was disposed of in the for eating, as that cut is so lean. Fresh-baked baguette from a small bakery, and a Le Fervent Syrah added up to a delicious dish.

DSCN0658.jpg

DSCN0663.jpg

DSCN0664.jpg

DSCN0666.jpg

Last week, Rocky posted pictures of his eggplant parm. I have not had eggplant parm in ages and those pictures really put the bug in me.

Then, out of the blue, My brother called me. He said that his daughter (my Niece) wanted to learn how to make eggplant parm.

Obviously, the universe was telling me something.

Since I have octoberfest, crush day, and then press day coming up, the only day I had available (over the next month) was yesterday.

So, yesterday, I spent the day cooking with my niece.

We started by making our own sauce, which we cooked for 4 hours. While that simmered away, we made up a loaf of homemade bread, and then made up a BIG roasting pan of eggplant....

Peel eggplant,
slice thin and layer between paper towels
flour/egg/breadcrumb each slice and fry until golden brown.
assemble in pan in layers (lasagna style) with each slice getting a dollop of sauce and a thin slice of mutz.
every two layers or so, add a sprinkle of parm cheese, salt, pepper, and dried basil.
on the top most layer add a generous amount of shredded mutz.
Baked it for an hour.

Around 4pm, my brother and SIL came to eat and then take the niece home. Once they arrived, I boiled up some spaghetti and served.

I made it a point to not eat anything all day and was absolutely starved!Man, did I stuff my face! It was so good!. The bread came out pretty good too, it was like biting into a cloud.

When the eating was over, and the dust had settled, I slowly came out of a self induced food-coma. It was then that I realized I had forgotten to take pictures. Sorry.

One Silver, one Bronze. 50% Sangio, 25% Cab Sauv, 25% Merlot. No bench trials, its just what I had that year and it worked out ratio wise to use it all up.

Hey Mr. Glowin, just curious- what was your blend and ratios on that 2013 Tuscan? I know you submit many to competitions, any awards that one?

Latest posts

Back