New Yeast Plan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey now! Thanks for bumpin this. Checked out the website, very visually friendly loaded with good info.
The Avante/andante looks like a real winner for my Sangiovese blend. For big reds The maestoso/muse is also tempting with zero h2s.

Hmm. Seems as if they ought to be able to CRISPR the gene for that enzyme right into any yeast we use...

Hmm. Seems as if they ought to be able to CRISPR the gene for that enzyme right into any yeast we use...

Assuming it is just one enzyme responsible for no H2S production (I just do not know, maybe someone does), yes I would expect this would be technically rather straight forward.

But.... different yeast strains can produce very different wines. So, even changing one gene may have unknown but subtle cascading interactions with other proteins created by each strain's DNA profile, possibly changing the expected quality of the resulting wine made with such yeast from off-target effects. I am not saying that one will create a Frankenyeast, or end up lobotomizing the yeast for wine production, but undesired changes may be noted. So, it may be more complicated than simply CRISPR snip and tuck of an H2S gene.

Last edited:
We just bottled the first vintage using this yeast, so it is still very young to give it the final nod. I will say that the resulting wine is nice and it was very pleasing not having to deal with H2S remediation or even smelling a hint of it.

Assuming it is just one enzyme responsible for no H2S production (I just do not know, maybe someone does), yes I would expect this would be technically rather straight forward.

But.... different yeast strains can produce very different wines. So, even changing one gene may have unknown but subtle cascading interactions with other proteins created by each strain's DNA profile, possibly changing the expected quality of the resulting wine made with such yeast from off-target effects. I am not saying that one will create a Frankenyeast, or end up lobotomizing the yeast for wine production, but undesired changes may be noted. So, it may be more complicated than simply CRISPR snip and tuck of an H2S gene.

Agree completely, this was more a comment on the potential of CRISPR than anything else.

From Renaissance.....

The natural ability to mate and exchange genetic material makes yeast amenable to classical breeding techniques, much like what has been done with plants since the dawn of agriculture (approximately 10,000 years ago). At its core, classical breeding involves mating two members of a species (plant, yeast, or animal)—each of whom possesses one or more different and desirable traits—in order to create a hybrid individual possessing both traits. Importantly, classical breeding does not involve any direct manipulation of genetic material; therefore, classically bred organisms are classified as non-genetically modified (non-GMO). Instead, classical breeding only requires the ability to identify traits of interest in an organism, successfully mate individuals expressing said traits, and then isolate hybrid offspring. In this way, the ubiquitous use of classical breeding has been used to create many of the things familiar to life today: modern agriculture, domesticated plants and animals, all cat and dog breeds, and many of the existing commonly used industrial yeast strains.

Renaissance Yeast uses classical breeding to develop its hydrogen sulfide (H2S)-preventing yeast strains. To do so, we cross a unique parental H2S-preventing yeast —naturally isolated from Lambrusco grape must in a vineyard in Emilia Romagna, Italy—with any one of a variety of industrial wine yeast strains. After identifying H2S-preventing hybrids, we repeatedly cross these hybrid offspring yeast with the parental industrial strain (“backcrossing”), all the while maintaining the H2S-preventing trait. After a number of backcrosses, this process yields a final, non-GMO yeast strain that is functionally identical to the parent, except that it also prevents H2S formation. Using this methodology, we have currently developed a range of proprietary H2S-preventing strains that, collectively, are ideal for use in a wide variety of wine styles.

-----

We were very successful with this yeast and simply wanted to share that. This isn't some lab rat high risk dice roll....it's non-GMO, safe and helpful.

Lodi labs has it on sale $1 for a carboy sized packet (5g I assume). And like $8 for barrel sized packet. As well as the acti ml in stock

They have everything I need, except the Opti'Malo. Well, they have that, but only in a 1Kg container. Way, way more than I need.

It's my first time using Lodi labs for anything. I went on for acti-ML and then saw the Avante offered in smaller sizes. As well as other yeast for only $1. I loaded up on 2 yeasts (Avante and bm4x4) and will decide later.
Also better price on my MLB than elsewhere as well. Luckily I had some malo nutrient from LHBS too.
Still love morewine for their $5 brehm additive packs though. Which has Basically everything else I'd need aside from yeast and MLF: Go ferm, ferm K, lallyzyme ex, ft rouge tannin, opti-red.

Latest posts

Back