What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not yet...I really need to watch some videos on best way to cook the ribs..... [emoji23]

I can tell I jumped the gun with the ribs, my wife makes them much better in the oven...lol

Last edited:
Nice set of storms came through, poured again like yesterday but only 1/2 inch or so. Used the time to finish up the chicken fajitas I'm donating to our Church youth program (my daughter requested them). They are attending a weekend where they sleep in tents in a field and worship God with a thousand other teenagers. They love it and we have adult chaperones who love it too ( http://snlym.com/events-ministries/impact/ ). Marinated the chicken overnight, grilled after I finished the ham. Also made up a small batch of ham salad for my breakfast/lunch/dinner tomorrow. Nothing like 500+ mg of salt to get your morning moving in the right direction.

On a side note found out my oldest Son becomes the property of the US Air Force on October 3rd. Best news of all is he got his top job choice (wants to be a jet engine mechanic). That gives me two more months to get some heavy duty projects done around the house. Very proud of him and his life choices.

7-25-17_fajitas.JPG

3-2-1 for the St Louis Style Ribs

2-2-1 for the Baby Backs.

All cooked at 225F

First number is hours on the grill over open indirect heat (flip half way through)

Second number is hours on the grill wrapped in aluminum foil (to steam and breakdown the meat or tenderize)

Last number is hour on the grill to firm up the outside bark. This might only take 20-30 min if the ribs are fall off the bone tender, you don't want to dry them out too much at this point.

Sauce always on the side! :r

Not yet...I really need to watch some videos on best way to cook the ribs..... [emoji23]

I can tell I jumped the gun with the ribs, my wife makes them much better in the oven...lol

3-2-1 for the St Louis Style Ribs

2-2-1 for the Baby Backs.

All cooked at 225F

First number is hours on the grill over open indirect heat (flip half way through)

Second number is hours on the grill wrapped in aluminum foil (to steam and breakdown the meat or tenderize)

Last number is hour on the grill to firm up the outside bark. This might only take 20-30 min if the ribs are fall off the bone tender, you don't want to dry them out too much at this point.

Sauce always on the side! :r

Ha, very good notes Mike, I should've asked 2 days ago :slp

Will definitely keep this in mind and will try again. That makes sense. What my wife does in the oven is that she cooks the ribs covered so the meat soften up, this may be for like 2 hours give or take depending on temp (I think she puts it at 325 degrees), the ribs will cook and then she removes the cover and leaves it open for about less than an hour to get them crispy.

I'm definitely trying this in the Performer next time but I know she will tell me she can cook it in less time :)

BTW - I have a friend in the island who knows and cooks a lot of steaks and he always tells me the meat needs to be hydrated through the process, I think he uses some sort of dry and liquid seasoning.

I use a pan of water on the lower grill in my Kamodo to keep things "moist".

Tell your Esposa "slow, low and steady wins the race"!

BTW - I have a friend in the island who knows and cooks a lot of steaks and he always tells me the meat needs to be hydrated through the process, I think he uses some sort of dry and liquid seasoning.

I use a pan of water on the lower grill in my Kamodo to keep things "moist".

Tell your Esposa "slow, low and steady wins the race"!

I just saw a guy on Youtube using a pan of water for the moist and he also says to maintain the temperature inside the grill.

As far as the esposa goes, yes, that's the key :)

I have a variation on the ribs but it really sounds like a hybrid of the two. I cut 2 racks in half and coat them with a dry rub. Fit them slightly overlapping in a disposable foil pan approx 9x12x4. Add about 1 cup of chicken stock and layer slices of onion over the top. Cover with foil, poke a few tiny holes and cook in the grill for a couple of hours at 200-225. After that take off the foil and lean the rib up around the edges of the pan so they're standing mostly vertical, pour a half and half mixture of BBQ sauce and beer in the pan about 2 cups, and continue to cook, basting every 15 mins or so until sauce is gone and meat almost falling off bones. This takes about 4 hours and ends up with a glossy coating. There are so many ways of getting to the same place. I'd also suggest looking up Adam Perry Lang and his bbq books, awesome recipes and great Sauces and rubs available from him.

Mike

BBQribs1.JPG

BBQribs2.jpg

My baby back procedure on my Primo is a slight variation of the @ibglowin method. 1-3-1, first hour is for smoking (purportedly, meat can't absorb any more smoke once it hits 140F), up to 3 hours foiled, one hour for barking and saucing.

Regardless of your procedure, get some smoke on 'em while they are cool, foil them until they are tender, finish them uncovered in the end, all slow and low, you'll amaze and astound your friends and family............

Varis,

I use this method but with the 3-2-1 and foil for the "2" part ( http://virtualweberbullet.com/best-ribs-in-the-universe-by-mike-scrutchfield.html ) and usually a St Louis style cut of ribs. They have a really detailed 3-2-1 proceedure if you go up a level on that website ( http://virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html#pork ), but they cook at 275*F which is a bit high. This of course is for a charcoal smoker, but it will give you a good idea how to get started (has a water pan too which I usually add a water/cider vinegar concoction with some added flavorings, like garlic and some more garlic).

I forgot that I do the same as craig, don't know if it really adds anything or not but how can extra aromatics be bad. I generally add wine/beer, slices of citrus, slices of onion and lots of garlic. In addition I throw in handfuls of fresh rosemary, thyme, oregano from the garden. I know it smells wonderful as it cooks down.

Mike

Craig,

Why add flavoring to the water pan?

I forgot that I do the same as craig, don't know if it really adds anything or not but how can extra aromatics be bad. I generally add wine/beer, slices of citrus, slices of onion and lots of garlic. In addition I throw in handfuls of fresh rosemary, thyme, oregano from the garden. I know it smells wonderful as it cooks down.

Mike
Agree with Mike. It adds subtle flavors. Now if you slather it with a really strong bbq sauce, you probably won't notice it. I think it is a holdover from doing beer can chickens where I tend not to overdo the dry rub, I think the water additives do steam into the meat (used to put dry rub in a beer can along with the beer I didn't drink that went up the open end of the chicken (known in my house as the hooter)).

Latest posts

Back