What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, who are you kinding. I've seen how long you age your wines. BTW, just picked up some Nat's wine. It's a 2013 Cab Sauv at $20.00. No idea what it's like. The only place I found it is a Target in Fredericksburg. I have a job going on there if you would like me to pick up a bottle for you.

I was supposed to go to an orientation today for a new winery but it was cancelled due to not yet receiving all the proper permits. There is no real commitment to how much you have to work and they do pay you some kind of minimum wage but I'm just thinking about doing it for the experience and wine discounts. Plus I'm trying to get my wife to do it with me. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

Jim, who are you kinding. I've seen how long you age your wines. BTW, just picked up some Nat's wine. It's a 2013 Cab Sauv at $20.00. No idea what it's like. The only place I found it is a Target in Fredericksburg. I have a job going on there if you would like me to pick up a bottle for you.

Interesting. I wonder who makes it.

My father, the life-long Red Sox fan has a bottle of "Manny Merlot", from when Manny Ramirez played for the Sox.

I was supposed to go to an orientation today for a new winery but it was cancelled due to not yet receiving all the proper permits. There is no real commitment to how much you have to work and they do pay you some kind of minimum wage but I'm just thinking about doing it for the experience and wine discounts. Plus I'm trying to get my wife to do it with me. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

Effingham Manor?

It's very nice. Huge compared to other wineries. But, a full on resort? I'm not sure about that.

Picked up a bottle of their Archemedies and another high end bottle from Clos Du Bois. They'll sit in the cave for a special occasion.

Having lunch here then headed to San Francisco for a couple days.

It's very nice. Huge compared to other wineries. But, a full on resort? I'm not sure about that.

Maybe it was one of the Mondavi properties. I don't remember, but it was one of the 'big' names and there were pools, kid activities (and child care), excursions, etc.

Maybe it was one of the Mondavi properties. I don't remember, but it was one of the 'big' names and there were pools, kid activities (and child care), excursions, etc.

They had pools, cabanas, activities... not sure about excursions.

Mondavi was just bought up by Constellation wines, along with Clos Du Bois and Meomi (and a few others). The clos du bois tour was more educational, where the Coppola tour we did was more about Francis and his movies.

Monsoons have hit this week big time. On Wednesday while home at lunch we had a big storm roll through about 12:30PM with lots of thunder, lightening, wind. Lasted 30mins and got right at 0.5" of much needed moisture. A few houses down from me there was a big apple tree that died a few years back during the drought. The winds finally took it out and the homeowner only has a propane grill. I asked him if I could help him get rid of the tree. He said "take all you want"......

I now have a very nice supply of seasoned applewood for the BBQ pits! :db

Smofried-Wood-Guide.jpg

Got most of my supplies ordered for harvest. Now getting ready to take the 3 Country Cab out of the barrel, then start the Walla Walla Cabernet Merlot.

Men's breakfast this morning. Foraged for weekend supplies at the local Giant afterwards. Pretty wet out but getting nice, breezy and cool. Yard too wet to do anything, so I cleaned a couple of cases of beer bottles. Working on some carboys that were "soaking" then going to look for a candidate to bottle this afternoon. Might do 5 gallons of 22 month young Dornfelder. Just have to carry the carboy upstairs, and right now drinking a beer and surfing the forum are much more to my liking.

Actually followed through and bottled the Dornfelder. 22+ months old and very tasty at this point. I'm guessing it will age pretty well if I can keep my paws off of it. 24 - 750 ml bottles + 2 - 375's (5 gallons total). Looked for a bottle or two of the 3 gallons I had previously bottled, can't find one...I'll keep searching.

Edit: I found one, about to open and sample it!

7-29-17_Dornfelder.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back