oak barrel and bung

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffZ

Junior
Reaction score
After 4 months in a carboy, i just transferred an Amarone into a 5 gallon oak barrel - which has the small bung opening.
Is the there something else i should use besides the wood plug -to prevent the plug from being blown out, if there's more fermentation.

Is there a special airlock meant for barrels? Or stick with the wood plug?
Thanks.

I would toss the oak bung into the nearest fireplace. I use silicone solid bungs on my barrels and they're great. I don't know if they make vented silicone bungs in barrel sizes, but they might. They would be my first choice if I were concerned about more fermentation while in a barrel. Or you can get rubber bungs with the traditional hole for an airlock in barrel size. My first choice is a silicone bung though, I trust that seal.

last question

i found a rubber stopper that fits the barrel opening, and i put an airlock with water in the opening.

is that also ok? or just stick with silicone as suggested? thanks.

i found a rubber stopper that fits the barrel opening, and i put an airlock with water in the opening.

is that also ok? or just stick with silicone as suggested? thanks.

That works as well. Two of mine have 8 1/2 stoppers with airlocks. The third has a solid rubber stopper.

For those of you in the DC area, I just stumbled on the site. They are in Ashburn, VA. The prices are the best I have ever seen.
https://www.staveandbarrel.com/

Very interesting...I wonder why they have this disclaimer though:

"While 99% of our barrels are still watertight, we don't recommend or certify their use for any potable liquids."

Because they might not be watertight, or because they're not storing them for use, and might be contaminated? I'll have to give them a call and report back...

Very interesting...I wonder why they have this disclaimer though:

"While 99% of our barrels are still watertight, we don't recommend or certify their use for any potable liquids."

Because they might not be watertight, or because they're not storing them for use, and might be contaminated? I'll have to give them a call and report back...

Note that that disclaimer applies to their used barrels. They do not make that disclaimer to their new barrels, AFAIK.

Latest posts

Back