What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overshot this one by a mile. Was 165*F at 4 pm. Left it in the oven after turning it off, at 5:45 pm it was at 170*F. Anyone for flaky pork? Cuts with a butter knife. Now have to scurry to make a GF gravy, though there are some nice juices in the bottom covering the carrots, which are absolutely delicious.

Another learning experience with my new dutch oven, it's edible, lesson learned.

Edit: Hey, @Boatboy24 , we were promised some tater salad too, I don't see any in your images...and that one piece of pineapple is out of place, may ruin the dish...

Your meal looks just fine to me - I'll saddle up to that any time. And yes, @sour_grapes, that's mango. No pics of the 'tater salad - it isn't too exciting, though it was really good. I'll use the recipe again and am happy to share. "Baked Potato" salad - with sour cream, bacon, cheese, green onion. It was nice.

The meteorite has landed. And its delicious. Just took it off, double wrapped it in HD foil, then a towel and have it resting in a cooler. Company arrives in 30, and we'll eat in 90.

Looks delicious. I double foil/ towel wrapped mine and and kept in a cooler and pulled one 4 hours later. It was still too hot to pull by hand. I left the other in the cooler for backup. (Around 50 guests) We had plenty with the other food. About 9:30 last night I pulled the other one and it was still warm.

Last edited:
Yep, the BB's are on sale for $1.99lb and the St Louis style are regular price $2.99lb.

Doing the BB's in my favorite rib rub and the St. Louis are being slathered in mustard and then rib rub on top.

The Kamado is a heating up as I type and the ribs are dressed and ready for the 3-2-1 method.

Using lump charcoal and several nice pieces of seasoned pecan wood. :sm

The front two look like they may have fallen off the back of a truck! They are definitely in my limited budget price range...I'd have them every night at that price.

Yep, the BB's are on sale for $1.99lb and the St Louis style are regular price $2.99lb.

Doing the BB's in my favorite rib rub and the St. Louis are being slathered in mustard and then rib rub on top.

The Kamado is a heating up as I type and the ribs are dressed and ready for the 3-2-1 method.

Using lump charcoal and several nice pieces of seasoned pecan wood. :sm

Pictures or it didn't happen.

$1.99 per lb is practically stealing! :mny

Sooo, I went to my local big-box grocery, which was bought by Krogers a few months ago, and, lo and behold, the ribs were $1.99!!

Despite this, I opted for the $7.99 porterhouses. Then I invited my neighbor, upon learning he had just broken his arm, and he showed up with a ribeye for me to cook for him. Dry-brined, then seasoned with paprika, garlic powder, etc. We rounded those out with ears of corn (roasted on the grill, strip off the kernels and reheat with butter and garlic and cumin), and grilled green beans (coriander, fennel, and thyme), and some baked beans (I have no idea -- my wife made them when I was away!!). Finally, I grilled some nectarines for desert, and this lagniappe was lovely!

Last edited:
I wanna go to your guys house for dinner

Invite must of got lost in the mail

My wife went out for dinner tonight so i had fruit salad.
Ok well i had grapes.
Ok well fermented grapes.
Ok i had wine.

Last edited:
Where am I? I'll tell you. I am located firmly wrapped around my Niece's little finger!

Last week while eating out at a BBQ joint, she sent me a photo of a rack of ribs. She added a caption "I wonder if uncle John can do better?"..

In other words, she wanted me to throw a BBQ. With diabolical genius, she sent the one sentence that would absolutely guarantee a BBQ at my house. She is a newlywed just back from her honeymoon. Her husband, the poor guy, has no idea what he is up against!

I talked to the wife and she thought it was a GREAT idea. She got on the phone and in no time, we had 17 people attending.

5 racks of baby back ribs, 2 beef briskets, smoked sausage, potato salad, and veggie/pasta salad. I had others bring appetizers, garden salad, and dessert.

Not having a smoker or the knowledge on how to use one, I first dry rub the meat, let the meat sit in the fridge overnight, then brazed the meat in the oven for 4.5 hours. Everything was nice and tender! I then brushed them with bbq sauce and popped the meat on the grill just to develop a "glaze".

On one of the racks of ribs, I tried to go spicy. I added what I thought was plenty of cayenne pepper to the rub and also a large does of tabasco sauce to the brazing liquid. The meat was much more tender, but did not really have a lot of spiciness.

Here are some pics..

IMG951460.jpg

IMG951459.jpg

Latest posts

Back