What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fillet from a grass-fed steer.

Mmmm, delicious!

Had to do two posts because I don't know how to twice in one reply :?

To quote from two different messages, you can hit the little button with the quotation mark at the bottom right-hand part of the message. (It is the middle button of the three.) Hit the button for the first message you want to quote, then hit it for any other ones you want to quote, and then hit the big "quote" button (the left of the three) on any of the messages.

I made tuna steak, beets, and kale. I had roasted the beets the other day, so I made a dressing of minced shallots, lemon, oil, and fresh tarragon to serve over sliced beets. (You macerate the shallots in an acid for 15 minutes, and it takes the "sting" out of them.) The kale was prepared with sauteed onions, mushrooms, and garlic, then braised with chicken stock. The tuna was a nice, 1" thick steak. After marinating with soy sauce and lime juice, I seared it hard in a smoking-hot pan of butter for just a minute on each side. The result was seared only to a few mm on the edges, and the insides were basically raw. Served with a sauce of scallions, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil. :HB

Made a quick week night "lasagna" using Penne pasta, itialian sausage, kalamata olives, marinated artichoke hearts, ricotta cheese, and italian blend cheese along with....... jar sauce! Made in Italy though so good jar sauce! 30 mins prep time, 30 mins cook time. Came out hot and bubbly. Could feed an army. Total cost, about $9 for an entire 10 x 13 pan! I stocked up when Smith's (Kroger) put all the "Italian week" specials on closeout. $5 jars of pasta sauce for $0.50, Italian pasta for $0.25. Awesome sauce! :)

IMG_2035.jpg

Pot luck at the Cub Scout 'Blue and Gold' Banquet. I went southwestern, with some salad topped with taco meat and a really good chicken chili. Having dessert now in the form of a LR Shiraz Viognier.

How much weight have you lost and how much better do you feel, 10, 20 years younger?

I lost about 40 pounds without even trying. I've gained a little back over the winter with less activity and a bit higher fat in my foods, but I'm sure that will melt off once spring comes and I spend more time working outside at the winery and have my fresh garden produce available.

I usually try and take one dinner meal on the weekend to try something new that will be easy for my 18 yr old son to serve for dinner on Tuesdays/Thursdays when my wife leaves in the morning and doesn't arrive home until 9 pm+. Crock pot fare is the norm, so we tried some cheese steaks tonight. Big hit, every one enjoyed, and my wife bemoaned the fact that she would have to wait until the next day to try it (assuming we leave her leftovers).

Served with an Irish Red keg beer, yum!

2-25-17_cheese-steak-1.jpg

2-25-17_cheese-steak-2.jpg

2-25-17_cheese-steak-3.jpg

Last edited:
Made up a paste with garlic, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, rosemary, lemon zest and olive oil. Rubbed that all over some lamb chops that I'll be grilling up shortly (chicken for wife and kids). Ho made bread, salad and steamed broccoli as well.

IMG_5081.jpg

IMG_5086.jpg

IMG_5087.jpg

Last edited:
Made up a paste with garlic, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, rosemary, lemon zest and olive oil. Rubbed that all over some lamb chops that I'll be grilling up shortly (chicken for wife and kids). Ho made bread, salad and steamed broccoli as well.

Great minds! I also have lamb chops, and I made up a Moroccan-inspired relish of preserved lemons, parsley, cilantro, mint, olives, and garlic. This is currently marinating, and I will broil this in a few minutes. I also made roasted green beans with Ras el Hanout seasoning (cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, paprika, turmeric, pepper), and pearl cous-cous with some of the seasoning and some of the parsley/cilantro/mint mixture.

This is the "maiden run" for a batch of preserved lemons I started back in August. Mighty tasty so far!

This was the last weekend before lent, so I had a "fat Tuesday" party on Saturday.

For dinner, we had ..

Home made cream of mushroom soup,

A simple salad in a balsamic/honey dressing,

For the main course, we had roasted tenderloin of beef with home made chimmichuri sauce, asparagus tips, roasted tomato gratanee, and twice baked potatoes.

One of my guests brought an amazing cheesecake for dessert.

I have to say that the beef turned out better than expected and only took 35 minutes to bake. Although tender, I find that the tenderloin rather bland. The chimmichuri sauce really made the dish POP. When making the sauce, I added a whole jalapeno pepper, so the sauce had some really nice heat.

IMG_20170225_183131_557.jpg

Latest posts

Back