What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the past growing season, I really got into canning. I canned several types of pickles, peach, strawberry, fig, and blueberry jams, pickled hot cherry peppers, a TON of crushed tomatoes, and some pickled/sliced jalapeno peppers.

The one thing I decided to try was canning my own apple pie filling. There is an orchard right across the street from me and the owner will sell me a 25 pound box for just $10.

I made so much that I sent the wife to the dollar store for some Christmas themed buckets, and made up goody buckets of home canned goods for the family as gifts. This worked out wonderful since I really do not know what to get everybody and will not (flat out refuse) to give out gift cards or money.

This really work out great. They all realized that they were getting gifts from the heart and it all seemed so well received.

About a week later, one of my cousins texted me to tell me that the apple pie filling was great, but not sweet enough. Having a spare box of ready made pie dough, I decided to give it a go last weekend.

Knowing that the filling was not sweet enough, I made a simple glaze out of confectioner's sugar and water. I spread that over the top of the pie once it came out of the oven.

The pie was yummy, but very watery. I think that I will mix in a bit more sugar and a couple spoons of corn starch before I bake another one.

Anybody have a really good canned pie filling recipe??

IMG_20170110_085208_961.jpg

IMG_20170110_135952_528.jpg

My canned version is a little runny as well so I started freezing pie filling. Not great for gift giving but amazing for home or when you need to whip out a pie. I use my old school Betty Crocker cookbook recipe. One afternoon of work equals easy pies all winter. Key is freezing them in the shape of the pie pan.

FB_IMG_1484319910369.jpg

There is an orchard right across the street from me and the owner will sell me a 25 pound box for just $10.

In my area there are several high producing apple trees not on private property. Anybody can pick from them. I must have picked a 100 pounds over the months of August and September, and never saw another person or saw any evidence of anybody else picking.

This year lots and lots of apple wine, and will venture into apple cider also. Loving it! :db

In my area there are several high producing apple trees not on private property. Anybody can pick from them. I must have picked a 100 pounds over the months of August and September, and never saw another person or saw any evidence of anybody else picking.

This year lots and lots of apple wine, and will venture into apple cider also. Loving it! :db
WOW!

The price of that apple wine would be too much for me to ignore. It might even justify the purchase of a bigger truck!!!

Once I had started making wine, information from others fast became available. Everybody wants my wine to be a success. :) I had hoped to encourage others to start the hobby, but free wine bottles, fruit, and information on where to find and pick wild berries is just as good. :db

Making Sous Vide Steak Diane tonight, along with redskin mashed potatoes. Any ideas for a veg?

Making Sous Vide Steak Diane tonight, along with redskin mashed potatoes. Any ideas for a veg?

How 'bout spicy green beans? I use a recipe from Michael Ruhlman, but here is an accessible one: http://whatsgabycooking.com/spicy-garlic-green-beans/

sautéed asparagus would be my choice.

John, it is January! Where do you think that asparagus is coming from ? :ft Probably Peru. Eat something more seasonally appropriate! :hug

Let me ask, Is sous vide really worth the additional effort and expense?

IMHO, yes. I played "sous vide fairy" this Christmas season. I assembled 4 cheap temperature controllers, which cost me less than $20 a throw, and gave them out to random friends and family members. I followed this design: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=195713 These can be used to control a crock pot, for inexpensive sous vide access.

As I have opined before, I like sous vide for two uses. One is to perfectly cook steaks that are already tender, so you are assured of getting them rare or medium rare through them. The other is for controlled "braising" of cuts that you would normally braise, like shanks or brisket or, my favorite, short ribs. You can cook them to a lower temperature (but long enough to get falling-off-the-bone tender), and so they are still moist.

sautéed asparagus would be my choice.

Let me ask, Is sous vide really worth the additional effort and expense?

I'm still feeling my way through SV, but so far, yes. As Paul noted, the 'control' aspect is very appealing. I can cook two very different cuts of steak at two different sizes and be assured that I'll 'nail it' as far as doneness on both of them. From a timing perspective, it is very helpful too. I can keep the meat in SV while getting all the other stuff ready, including the grill (or a hot pan). Once I'm ready, it is a quick 2-4 minutes on the grill for a finishing sear, and we're ready to eat - everything done at the same time.

I think an hour or two (or more) in SV even for a good steak like NY Strip, Ribeye or Filet make an already good steak, very good.

Needed a "red chile" fix tonight so came home at lunch did my workout and then brought out the crock pot and made a nice batch of "Carne Adovada". Slow cooked pork butt, red chile (powder and crushed), oregano, onion, cumin, garlic, salt. The aroma was intoxicating when I came home this afternoon! :hug

Care to share the recipe for this one? Looks good!

OK, @JohnT: Tonight was the first time I've ever made Steak Diane (or eaten it, for that matter). It was outstanding - quite possibly the best steak dinner I've had. And at the table, my wife asked: "Did you use that contraption where the steak sits in the water before you 'cook' it? Because when you do that, the steak is so tender!". So, that answers my question right there. Little Miss "I'm super picky about my steaks" approves and noticed when I started using Sous Vide. I had a NY Strip, and did a filet for her. Both were in the SV for a little over 90 minutes before I seared in a cast iron pan to finish. Had a fantastic crust, and a perfect med-rare finish all the way through.

IMG_4926.jpg

OK, @JohnT: Tonight was the first time I've ever made Steak Diane (or eaten it, for that matter). It was outstanding - quite possibly the best steak dinner I've had.

Why can't I like this 3 times!? :HB :HB :HB

What temp did you choose, Jim? And you are right, an hour or two in SV makes even tender steaks more tender, due to the action (as you probably know) of the natural enzymes in the muscle (cathepsins), that work their magic at low temperatures+time, but are destroyed at high temps. I have taken this too far on several occasions, however, and served red mush for dinner!

On a different note, I have trouble getting away from the meal-planning paradigm of 1 protein, 1 veg, 1 starch. It looks like that may be your model, too. However, unlike you, I count winter squash in the "starch" category!

I am in the final stages of cooking this, but I am making:
-Broiled lake trout with chermoula (parsley, cilantro, paprika, cumin, lemon, salt, garlic, siracha)
-pearl cous-cous with onions, garlic, lemon, and parsley
-spicy green beans (cumin, red pepper, garlic)

Can't wait!

Why can't I like this 3 times!? :HB :HB :HB

Maybe they can make that an option?

I am in the final stages of cooking this, but I am making:
-Broiled lake trout with chermoula (parsley, cilantro, paprika, cumin, lemon, salt, garlic, siracha)
-pearl cous-cous with onions, garlic, lemon, and parsley
-spicy green beans (cumin, red pepper, garlic)

Can't wait!

I can't believe they haven't made that upgrade to the site I requested...I give a lake trout dish a minimum of 5 likes! :HB :HB :HB :HB :HB

What temp did you choose, Jim?

I went with 131. Recipe called for 135, which was too much, IMHO. Normally, I go with 125, but that is with searing on the grill, and I leave it a little longer on the grill.

And yes, winter squash is as much a starch as it is a veg. But sometimes, you just don't feel like a salad. :p

Care to share the recipe for this one? Looks good!

Carne Adovada (slow cooker)

3-1/2 lbs. pork shoulder or butt, (remove excess fat cut in 1-inch cubes)

2 c. diced onion

4-5 cloves crushed garlic

4 c. chicken broth or water (enough to cover pork)

1 T ground cumin

1 T. dried Mexican oregano

3 oz. crushed chile
3 oz. ground red chile, 

2 tsp salt, 2 tsp ground black pepper (if you use chicken broth you won't need any salt more than likely)

Combine all ingredients in crock pot, stir. Cook on high for 4-5 hours until meat is tender or 7-8 hours on low. (don't shred the meat too much)
You can thicken the chile with Wondra if you want a more gravy like consistency (just before serving)

Doing an abbreviated version of chicken piccata. No lemons, so I'm sautéing chicken with capers and olives. A little butter and EVOO. Capellini and a salad. Washing it down with my 2104 juice bucket Viognier.

Latest posts

Back